bio balls and ls..dont mix ?

Yes... they counter produce each other. If you already have bio balls.. add a LITTLE sand... then.. after a couple days remove a SOME bio balls.. the the next day remove some more.. then more.. until they are gone.. but do it slowly

silent bob

i disagree, live sand and bio balls serve the same purpose and it doesn't really matter, and they don't counter-act against each other

q

Live Rock and bio balls do the same thing.
Live Sand reduces nitrates which is what you would get if you used eather the rock or the balls. The top layer of the sand does host the same bacteria as the balls and rock but this is not why it is put in. People use it to reduce/eliminate nitrates (as far as filtration goes).
You would still need live rock even if you had sand.
The sand bed should be 3+ inches depending on who you talk to.

reeffanatic

the only problem i have heard of with bioballs is that the proliferate the growth of nitrate in your system,,but have never heard of taking them totally out of a reef setup,,as some nitrates (in reef systems) acceptable 'cuz some corals actually need some nitrates to thrive...
just a thought

dasnake03

They don't do the same thing.Bio balls break down ammonia and nitrite,and turn it into nitrate.Live rock does the same thing but breaks down nitrate.Live sand also breaks down nitrate.So if you have live rock you should take out your bioballs,it just makes the live rock do more work.The bio balls should only be in a wet/dry,on a fish only with out live rock.

dasnake, exactly what i mean. Next time you all are in your LFS, ask to look under there reef to see their setup. 9 outta ten times. you will see NO bioballs

derrickt

Hmm... I think my most reef tanks don't use bio media is because the live rock is effecient enough and wet/dry are nitrate factories. Hence, they only use a skimmer in conjunction with the live rock. This setup is called the Berlin setup. Right now I use live sand with bio balls--my setup seems to be fine.