Bio-Balls are they any good?

peter78

I have heard that bio ball are crap, they they do more harm than good in the long run. I would like to put them in my refugium before the pump to help filter the water of loose algae and small bits of what ever that is floating down there. Also which kinds are better and how long do they last. I would like to hear both side if they are two sides.:confused:

fishnerd

Bioballs are great for biological filtration.
In a reef tank, many feel they are detrimental, because the eventually become "nitrate factories"
IMO: fish tank-yes reef tank-no

acrylic51

I don't see anything wrong with bio balls. I use a small amount of bioballs on my reef and have for the past 4 years and no problems... I think alot of things just get bad raps and think this one of them...

dmc888

I really don't see how they would build nitrate if they are flushed properly.
I flush mine with saltwater twice a month with no problems.

jgrossi

had them in my reef tank for a couple years w/out doing anything to them and all i had were headaches. i don't know for a fact that they were the source of the problem but i really kept up my tank w/chiller, water changes, ozonizer, uv, etc. this was 10 yrs ago when bioballz were supposidly the hot ticket.
personally from what i have been reading i think i will go w/out them on my new setup

acrylic51

I've been thinking the same thing going without them on my new setup, and I've run them on several tanks, and haven't had any problems with them with flushing...
You did point out that you don't know what the exact cause was of the problems you had....then again from what we've been reading how can you be sure these others saying they are so bad have been flushing the balls and doing proper maintenance?

dmc888

Pour a gallon of saltwater to get the debris out.
Saltwater only , if you use tap water it will kill the bacteria on it.

T

thomas712

There are tons of posts on this subject including pros and cons of bio balls. Just do a search and read..and read..and read..and read..

lion_crazz

I have removed my bioballs from my wet/dry and replaced them with chaetomorpha macroalgae.
However, when I did have my bioballs, I use to flush them every month or two. All I did to flush them was rinse them in dirty tank water when I was doing a water change. This washes the debris and dirt off of them, while still keeping the biological life intact.