Bio balls vs. ceramic rings

scotikis

Planning a 40 gal tank with live rock, some corals and a few small fish. I’ve been researching the opinions regarding bio balls vs ceramic and as I understand it, the benefit of bioballs is they house the bacteria necessary for the nitrogen cycle which is ammonia to nitrites, nitrites to nitrates. These are also known as nitrifying bacteria. On the other hand, ceramic houses denitrifying bacteria, which is different. ugh.

My question is, is one clearly better than the other? One fellow‘s blog contends ceramic is the alpha and omega of all things filtration and another blog says bio balls are a better option all day. Every side of the debate has intelligent folks inputting opinions - which makes it difficult to clearly see the best path.

Maybe there’s something I’m missing here. I can’t clearly comprehend what’s best.

I’d appreciate suggestions. Thanks.

scotikis

You guys are great. The senior member of the community profess “research all you can and ask a lot of questions”.
Then someone does a lot of research and asks questions and gets zero feedback. Bravo, losers. There are plenty of other forums with contributors that are willing to help out. Your forum sucks.

mrme123

I no longer use bio balls. Converted to a refugium. Bio balls were great many years ago but not needed if you have enough live rock.