Bio-Balls Yes or No Please reply

clownfish2

I have a tripple chamber sump(29gal). My question is do I need to run bio-balls in the first chamber to better my filtration. Any help would be greatly appreciated.:confused:

T

thomas712

No you do not need to run bio balls. The last portion of your sump :confused: . Normally it is the first portion where the water from the main tank splashes over them in an aerobic enviroment full of oxygen, the bio balls hold the bacteria that breaks down the ammonia and nitrItes into the less harmful nitrAtes.
No you do not HAVE to run the bio balls, many prefer a more natural approch and use liverock in the sump instead, some will incorporate macro algeas in the sump area or a sandbed in a chamber to help reduce nitrates.
I persoally use a wet/dry with bioballs.
Thomas

clownfish2

Thomas, Thank you for your reply. I meant to put in the first chamber of my sump so I changed my thread. I have a real dumb question for you. If I don't need them why do you run them. Is there a better approach to better filtration? IE lr or dsb.

jrein40806

If I don't need them why do you run them. Is there a better approach to better filtration? IE lr or dsb.>>
A lot of people think they are nitrate traps. I think if you rinse a handleful of them once every few months in your tank water you will be ok. A lot of reef keepers go with enough lr,1-1.5 lbs/gallon,and a deep sand bed 4-6 inches. They say that is all the filtration needed.
If you are going to have messy agressive fish then I would recommend the wet/dry. At least that was the advice given to me before I bought my wet/dry.

T

thomas712

First off for going throught the cycle period I think they are the best thing going. I run them because I believe in them and I don't have a DSB or a refugium with maco algea. If I did have the DSB and fuge then I would probably remove my bio balls. If you have a good pre filter or filter floss before the bio balls this will almost eliminate having to clean them but maybe a couple of times a year. Since most people overfeed they tend to look for something to blame it on, and it winds up being a wet/dry with bio balls.
Even with a DSB your nitrates can grow if you over feed, or do not have enough or proper critters and sand sifters to maintain the DSB. To help with the critters they make what is called a ditravore kit with pods,worms, mysis shrimp and other sand bed infauna.
Thomas

sterling

I have bio balls in my wet/dry/skimmer set up. I've had them from the day I set this tank up (about 2 years now) and my water parameters have always been good. I also have a DSB of about 3 to 3.5 inches and alot of live rock, but "if it's not broken".........

E

elan

i started to remove my bioballs from my W/D to turn it into a sump.. once i got to about 1/4 of the balls left, i found out that the noice made from the water entering into the W/D was unbearable, so i put back all the balls and now have them just serve as noise reducers, but i am sure the bacteria are growing on them as well...

leboeuf

its personal preference. I would say that LR and Macro are the best ways of dealing with trites. There are pros and cons for everything. In this hobby, try many things and eliminate stuff that doesn't make sense or work. Start with Bio balls if your new to the hobby and get educated over the next couple of months. As stated earlier, you can always take them out.
Can't say it enough..LR....LR....LR........LR......LR........LR

clownfish2

A big thanks to everyone who posted to this thread. I will be using a dsb and plenty of lr. I am going to try bio-balls and see what happens. I look at it this way , I can allways remove them. Once again thank you.:D

bullshark

The live rock thing I have not tried yet. I have been using a wet/dry for over 10 years in my fish only aggressive tanks. If it isnt broken, dont try to fix it. For years and years and years people used UNDERGRAVEL filters with success. Now, I wouldnt use one of those, but I can't complain about my wet/dry. By the way, I have NEVER touched the bio balls, NEVER EVER.....
I think as long as you maintain the quality of the water and have the correct mix of fish, the TYPE of filtration you use is not that vital, as long as it can support the ecosystem.....
(my very UN-professional advice)

saltyj

Greg,
On of the other users sent me a sight for a detrivore kit and I could not see spending $70 bucks on a bunch of bugs and worms. I could buy two and a half bags of LS for that much and they have the same stuff just less of it. If I could afford it I would buy it, but I don't see the point.

clownfish2

SaltyJ,
I take it from what you said to Greg that a detrivore kit would be the way to go if a person has the $ correct. If not just stick with ls?