Bio-load Question

daredevil

I just started my tank friday. It is a 29 gallon. I will get a clean-up crew in about 2 weeks. I was wondering if I put a brittle star,turbo snail, 3 hermits ( don't know what kind ), and a scarlet cleaner shrimp if it would be too crowded. Also if I put them in there would I have room for fish? How many?
thanx:)

standish

Most often, inverts will not enough to the bio-load to be concerned about.
For hermits, I recommend scarlets. They are the least aggressive. Make sure to provide extra shells or they will kill your snails to get theirs.
How many fish depends on what kind of fish you want. The general rule of thumb is 1" per 5 gallons. However, you must consider the adult sizes of the fish when calculating this. Also, many fish are not appropriate for a tank that size.
Please be sure not add your fish or your clean-up crew until your tank is completely finished cycling and stabalized.
:)

fmelindy

I've heard as low as 1" per 5 gallons and on the other end of the spectrum I've heard 1-2" per 2 gallons . What is the "general rule of thumb"?

barry cuda

Ask 10 people, and you'll get at least 5 different answers. That's the beauty and the curse of the Internet. :D
Since you're just starting out (as are many of us), it might pay to be conservative.
Also, if you don't have them, I'd get test kits so you can monitor your own cycle instead of guessing based on time. At least having kits for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates is 100% necessary in my opinion. That way you KNOW what's going on in the tank instead of relying on the LFS to give you results or on guesswork

daredevil

Thanx I just got extra shells today( I cleaned them boiled them the whole 9 yards). My first two fish are gonna be 2 percula clowns.
thanx:D :) :D :) :D :) :D :)