bioballs to live rock

T

thomas712

If your going to do this then remove only a couple handfuls of bio balls at a time, otherwise you will destroy your bacteria base. Do this over an extended period, some every week. When all are removed then you should add liverock rubble, better if they are like golf ball size or tennis ball size in my opinion.
The rock will have more weight and density than your bio balls.
I've not personally done this but perhaps someone who has will chime in.
Thomas

T

thomas712

Kipass - And you are pleased with the results, how long has it been now and how are your nitrates. Not looking to catch you, but would like to keep an open mind. As you know I am a fan of bio balls. Just simply interested in your results as a hobbiest.
Thomas

spsfreak100

Hey Rex,
I agree with Thomas on this. As stated above, You should do it extremely slow over a period of months for both of your sumps. I would take out a handful or two every week, and as stated by Thomas, go with rocks about Tenis Ball sized. I wouldn't really base it all on size and pounds of the live rock. Different live rock has a different density. I would see how much your sump can support. Remember to do it very slowely!
One thing that no one meantioned, was that you should raise the water level in your sump. Having the water slowely trickle down the rock can be much worse than having the water trickle down the bio balls. Make sure your rock are completely submurged underwater.
I saw how difficult it was to have to raise the water level in your sump, I would work on it. I would try adding some RO water to the sump slowely, and watch what happens. I would see how far you could get the water level too. What return pump are you currently using to bring the water from the sump, back up to the tank? If this powerhead isn't bringing up enough water, the right sump might overflow. If it's bringing up too much water, that could be one reason why one sumps water level cannot really be raised as much as the other one. I don't think it's that the syphon is too small, although that could be one factor contributing to this. If you somehow cannot raise the water level in the sump without the sump with the skimmer overflowing, you might want to just go easy on the rock. Only pile as much as the waterline supports.
Graham :)