bioballs

rescue

I have heard a lot of negative talk on this board regaurding bioballs and was wondering if someone would be willing to explain the pros and cons of them and what a good replacement for bioballs would be. I have been running bioballs in my tank from the start and haven't had any problems associated with them. ( I think lol) so please help me out here.

hondo

the only thing negative about bioballs is they do not do anything to rid your tank of the nitrates they create. They are a very efficient form of filtration but the end product of their filtration is nitrates which then need to be removed from the system via refugium, DSB, water changes, or some other form of removal. Personally if you don't have a problem with your filtration why mess with it. If you do decide to mess with it why not just add a refugium to help rid the tank of the nitrates (if your getting a buildup that is) and to help establish a large population of pods. If you do decide to remove the bioballs then you would need more LR and LS for filtration.

T

thomas712

I'll try to be fair to both sides here.
Pros of bio balls.
First off, these little guys are great for starting a tank, they help tons in the cycle by breaking down the more toxic ammonia and nitrites into the less toxic nitrates and keep the oxyegen high.
Bio balls offer more surface area than an equal amount of a replacement item like liverock.
They have far more ability to oxygenate the water than liverock.
The more oxegen supplied to the process results in a faster reaction capability of the filter to change the breakdown process.
The amount of surface area contained in bio balls supports a far greater amount of nitrifying bacteria, The amount of nitrifying bacteria in any system is dependent on two factors here. The amount of food supplied and the amount of surface area available. Due to the round shape with the little spikes these little balls have much to offer in surface area.
With maintanance; to repeat; With maintanance these bio balls have a lot to offer any wet/dry sump application. They are not a bomb waiting to go off, they are not nitrate factories anymore than any other mechanical filter.
Cons of bio balls.
The do tend to get dirty, therefore they will collect a certain amount of slime and junk on them. This leads to a nitrate buildup. In larger amounts the nitrates can lead to a problem, typically nitrates above say 30 ppm.
This initself is the cheif complant about them and the big con that everyone talks about.
One of the big reasons that people change or remove the bio balls is to go to a more natural type of filtration. The other is that they do not want to hassle with cleaning them.
Bio balls are not the only way to filter the water. Liverock will work in its place by upping the water level in the sump and using it much in the same way you would in the main tank. Others just replace them with liverock rubble and let the water splash over them, but in my opinion this is not as efficant as the bio balls. Also my opinion that if liverock rubble is used without raising the water level the rock itself will still get as dirty as any bioball and will need cleaning itself, but since I have not personally gone this route I can not speak from any experience on the liverock in the sump.
In the end it is the one who owns the system who must decide how or what method they will choose to filter the water. What ever the choice is the goal is the same, to achieve excellent water conditions.
Anyone with a reef tank or saltwater tank must have a method of removing nitrates. Some just feel safer without the bio balls
Hope that helps some, and I hope that I did justice to both sides.
Thomas

rescue

Thanks alot guys, at least now I have a general idea of the pros and cons, I think I'm going to leave the bioballs ( if it isnt broke, dont fix it) but I'am also going to look into a refuge... One more question for you, how big of a refuge would I need for a 65 gallon reef.

slick

My 90 has been up and running for about 9mts and I have had no trate problems. I think as long as you have some filter floss before the water hit them they will be ok.

T

thomas712

CheerFlip1 - I believe regular cleaning of bio balls should be done. However they contain alot of the benifical bacteria, therefore it should not be done all at once. Only a coupld of handfulls every month or two. Some people actually place the bio balls in nylon bags and take a bag out and clean it then place it under some of the other bags. Cleaning them all out at once would not be wise as it could cause a recycle.
Thomas