biocube 14 light problem

eteet07

My biocube blue light went out, the bulb looked burnt so I replaced it and now when I turn it on it stays on for 15-20 minutes and then goes out. If I shut it off for awhile it will come back on until it goes out on its own again.
Any ideas or suggestions?

eteet07

The lights are the stock lighting that came with it, both are flourescent, the ballast seems like it would be a case of they wouldn't work at all or no?

2quills

It's your ballast. But check the sockets for any signs of arch fault damage. Make sure they're not black and burnt up.

sweatervest13

Quote:
Originally Posted by eteet07 http:///t/397294/biocube-14-light-problem#post_3540979
The lights are the stock lighting that came with it, both are flourescent, the ballast seems like it would be a case of they wouldn't work at all or no?
The biocubes come with a few light choices... T5's, Powercompacts, HQI...

It sounds like 2quills has a couple of things for you to check. Hopefully it is not to hard to swap out the ballast. You may even look at upgrading the light since you have to replace the ballast.

SV

eteet07

Thanks to all for the input, if indeed the ballast has gone bad and I have been toying with the idea to switch over to LED can anyone tell me if the retro fit LED kits I am finding are at leat epual in light output as the stock lighting?