BioCube 29 Diary-- A College Student's First Saltwater Tank!

meglovin

I have had freshwater aquariums since I was 13 or 14, and I finally decided in June of this year that I was ready to try my hand at saltwater. I read a magazine and saw the mandarin goby in its pages; although I have since reconsidered adding this fish to my system, his appearance and colors sparked my interest in the hobby.
After months of research, searching for good deals (considering I'm a college student), and picking up bits and pieces of required "materials" as they went on sale, I was ready to begin.
November 11:
I was lucky enough to have picked up this 29 gallon BioCube from my boyfriend's uncle. The tank and everything shown was completely FREE. After 3 hours of some elbow grease, a toothbrush, and some vinegar, I got the tank looking in a much better condition.

After the tank was cleaned, I took the 20 pounds of "dead" live rock I was given in addition to the tank and bleached it for a week. The rocks were then rinsed and left to sit in conditioned freshwater for 10 days. Finally, for the last few days, I set them out in the sun to dry.
December 2:
I went to the store and picked up 15 gallons of saltwater and transported them home in $4 Walmart plastic containers (not a good idea.) Needless to say, the water sloshed around in the backseat of my car and I lost 2-3 gallons. -.- With the water that survived, I set up the tank, added the water, and added the sand.

I drove 30 minutes back to the store to get the rest of the water, this time ensuring that it was only filled half way, and I brought an extra Rubbermaid container. I also got 2 pieces of live rock. Added it all to my tank, set up the tiler, and voila! Once everything was running, I started my ghost feeding process and will continue to do so for a few days until my ammonia is acceptable.

snakeblitz33

I hope that stand is sturdy enough for the static weight. I also hope your floor can take the weight from the four small legs of the stand.
Looking good so far. Can't wait to see the official aquascape.
What are your plans for stocking?

meglovin

Thanks for your response!
I am concerned, too. I anticipated making the wooden stand based on your previous suggestions, but my father and boyfriend are so confident that they promised me a new tank if it breaks.
I'm the furthest from handy so I'm more or less trusting their judgement to keep the peace. Guess we'll see what happens lol.
As for stocking, I'm not certain. Probably a pair of clowns, but I'm really trying to hunt down other "interesting" species that would be fun to observe. I'd love to do the watchman goby with the pistol shrimp, and I've seen a few flame hawks (I believe that was their name) that were so intriguing. But I'm still in a preliminary research phase and have no idea if they would be doable. :p

meglovin

December 5:
I am 3 days into my cycle using a ghost feeding mechanism. I threw in a heater a few days ago to keep the temperature between 82-84 degrees F, since I had read the cycle completes quicker at a higher temperature. Today my ammonia was about 0.5 ppm, and nitrites were 0.25. It seems a little soon for nitrites to already be present; I plan on testing the water again in 2 days.
The water is looking clear and beautiful. I started doing some aquascaping, but I think I will be redoing it, since I was reading about concerns regarding "dead spots" with your aquascaping decisions. And I definitely would like to avoid that.

pezenfuego

I am also a college student setting up a tank. Do you have to lug it back and forth to school? Mine is only 4 gallons. I too am interested in seeing your progress. Good luck. This is a great place to get advice and share your experiences.