BioCube 29 Gallon Help

azarrella3

Hi all, I am a freshwater fish owner now and want to get into saltwater because of the amazingness of the fish! I am looking into the BioCube 29 Gallon tank, just for about 3 Clownfish and a small Goby and come crustaceans and whatnot. I was just wondering if this was the best investment because it is $280 for a 29 Gallon tank. Also, I am a little unsure on the process of setting up a new saltwater tank. Any and all advise is welcome!!
Thanks,
A.J.

S

shrimpy brains

First of all: Welcome to Saltwater and the boards!!

My best advice for you is read,read,read! There are a lot of great threads in the New Hobbiest section! Saltwater is very rewarding, but takes alot of patience. You can't just set it up and throw some fish in there. For starters, you need to learn about cycling a tank!
Then come things like 2 Clownfish=good. 3 Clownfish and one will be dead! :(
Please, read the stickies, and then feel free to ask any questions!

tang4me

Originally Posted by azarrella3
http:///forum/post/3270021
Hi all,
I am a freshwater fish owner now and want to get into saltwater because of the amazingness of the fish! I am looking into the BioCube 29 Gallon tank, just for about 3 Clownfish and a small Goby and come crustaceans and whatnot. I was just wondering if this was the best investment because it is $280 for a 29 Gallon tank. Also, I am a little unsure
on the process of setting up a new saltwater tank. Any and all
advise is welcome!!
Thanks,
A.J.
I'd take a look at a 40 gallon breeder style tank. It's only 11 more gallons, but a lot more space than a 29. It's a nice starter tank size, not too big or small. I agree, start very slow. Most of us rushed in intially and wasted a lot of time and money, at least I did. Your on the right track starting with clowns. Very hardy fish. My best advice would be to stick with selections that are at the easy care/hardy level until your tank matures. Just make sure your tank has cycled before you add anything, and I would avoid using crushed coral as your substrate.

Originally Posted by azarrella3
http:///forum/post/3270021
Hi all,
I am a freshwater fish owner now and want to get into saltwater because of the amazingness of the fish! I am looking into the BioCube 29 Gallon tank, just for about 3 Clownfish and a small Goby and come crustaceans and whatnot. I was just wondering if this was the best investment because it is $280 for a 29 Gallon tank. Also, I am a little unsure
on the process of setting up a new saltwater tank. Any and all
advise is welcome!!
Thanks,
A.J.
Welcome!
This forum is an absolute life saver in learning all there is to know! People here are very educated on this hobby, and are extremely helpful!
I don't know if you've thought about it yet, but make sure you get decent lighting (if you ever want coral) and get some ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH and alkalinity test kits. The first three are important for the cycling process. Powerheads are also a must to have good flow in the tank! Good luck!