Biocube filtration question

schultzie44

Hi there I keeping reading more and more on how beneficial macro algae is. I have a 28g aqua euro usa biocube with the filter built in the back. I was curious as where to add it in the back with other filter media and I guess if I even can. Does it need light or not? And also do I need to still run carbon and/ or bio balls with it. I'm a newb still so treat me like one

schultzie44

And I'd also like to know if there's any non photosynthetic algae I can put in the back of my biocube for benefiting the filter?

geridoc

If there were non-photosynthetic algae, you wouldn't want it in your tank. It is the process of photosynthesis that consumes waste from the water and fixes them into new algae that you can easily remove. Macroalgae does need light, but nothing fancy is required. An incandescent bulb will work funeral for chaeto, for example. Many people find that once the macro algae begins to grow well you can eliminate carbon, but mechanical filtration can remove particulates.

geridoc

Do you have any live rock in the tank? If so, and you have enough (about 1 lb/gal) you could eliminate the bio balls gradually. I use macro algae and a skimmer too (I already had the skimmer)

socalnano24

I would recommend keeping some form of carbon even after establishing a macro algae setup. I use chemi pure elite and try to change it 3 times a year minimum.

schultzie44

Really ? How come so little changes? I thought you were supposed to change your carbon almost monthly? I mean that's what I do with my freshwater tank. I have to small pouches of carbon in my biocube so I can just change one of them monthly and still keep some biological bacteria in the carbon

socalnano24

You can always change it more. I definitely change my filters more in my freshwater also. Chemi pure is also different than standard charcoal.