biocube help!

mckevinfang

hey guys! i need help with my 29 gallon biocube.
current condtions
font of tank

- 29 lb live rock
- 30 lb live sand
- 200 watt heater
- odysea 250 power head
- common clown fish
back of tank

- first chamber 3 lb live rock rubble
- second chamber CPR SR4 protein skimmer for biocube
- third chamber 1 lb live rock, a sponge and the original power head
it seems the water flow is too high creating little particles flying around in the tank from third chamber. the clown fish is having some trouble with the water flow to i turned off front power head but still lots of flow! any suggestions?

mckevinfang

do i need the heater? can i place it somewhere else? in some tanks ive seen i havent seen a heater in the tank? in other biocubes i mean. suggestions?

bjoe23

Yes you do need a heater, but ask a mod to move this to either, New Hobbists or Nano Tanks

madtownman

I dont think that is too much flow at all... Maybe you should mess with the direction of the flow.... I have the same tank, and it doesnt seem like I can get enough flow in some areas.... I have upgraded the stock pump to a rio that pushes 420-367 gph, and an additional powerhead in the tank that pushes 145 gph. So I have between 500-560 gph. I have the sapphire protien skimmer in my middle chamber. Who makes the one that you use?
I would also put some filter floss between your live rock and the powerhead in the third chamber maybe...... If thats where the particles are coming from....

demartini

I suggest you use the hydro koralia nano pump or the koralia 1 pump instead of the odysea... the koralia disperses the water flow evenly throughout the tank, so there aren't any spots with too much flow.
Keep your heater, so that you can prevent temperature fluctuations.

madtownman

I agree.... you should keep yours... Mine seems to stay at a constant temp because of the pump motors in it.... With two pumps for waterflow, and two for the skimmer it stays constant.

mckevinfang

ok i purchase two karolina 1 powerheads should come in tomorrow and i have a CPR SR4 protein skimmer for the biocube that has a powerhead attached to it and a power head for the return pump in the left third chamber a total of 4 powerheads. and i still have a 200 watt heater?

madtownman

If its that big of a thing that you dont use a heater..... I would pick a day that your home, and turn the heater down.... Keep an eye on it, and take it from there.. The only reason I dont run a heater is because I was running hot. Dont take it out until you are sure your temp wont fluctuate.

mckevinfang

Originally Posted by madtownman
If its that big of a thing that you dont use a heater..... I would pick a day that your home, and turn the heater down.... Keep an eye on it, and take it from there.. The only reason I dont run a heater is because I was running hot. Dont take it out until you are sure your temp wont fluctuate.

its not really that big of a deal i just didn't want it in the front and its too long to put in the back so i didn't know what to do?

ewetmill

Originally Posted by mckevinfang
its not really that big of a deal i just didn't want it in the front and its too long to put in the back so i didn't know what to do?
Take the false bottom out of the first chamber. You make need a screwdriver( I used a fork ) to slide/unwedge it out. This should give you the depth that you need. You may need to arrange the rock in your first chamber to allow room for the heater.