biocube problems

drdianes

I have set up a 29 gal biocube brand tank and I have been having problems with it. Several fish stores gave me rave reviews about the biocube. I am now wondering if I have made the right choice. My goal was to have a pair of clown fish, live rock, and a bottom cleaner like a diamond goby. The water level has to be to the rim for the pump to work right, then with the water level so close to the edge, my clown fish keep getting into the wet/dry filter in the back of the tank. I don't want to lose my clowns. I would greatly appreciate any advice.

nwdyr

I was also not impressed with this tank for the same reason and a few more. If you take out that filter pad with the carbon in it the water will run faster to the pump chamber. that helped me , but then you have no carbon or filter floss
I sold mine 3 weeks after I bought it. Sorry not much help

sickboy

Hmm, the lid doesn't fit down tight on it? I don't have a biocube, but my dad and a friend do and they haven't had a problem with this.
Interesting....

subielover

This is a extremely easy fix, as are all Biocube's shortcomings. Simply go to home depot or lowe's and pick up some type of mesh screening. Then attach it to the top of the back of the tank, in between where the dt and the back 3 chambers are. What you want to create is like a fence along the top. Also check out the nano section, lots of people with Biocubes there

V

vonodie1

I went to Michael's (craft store) and spent around 80 cents on a piece of black plastic needlepoint screen cut it to fit (two pieces) and took an ice pick and poked 3 small holes just large enough to fit a small black wire tie through to keep fish from jumping to the back side.
I did away with the carbon filter and bio balls. I put my carbon/ gfi in a little bag and clip it in the middle chamber under the water fall. I keep my water level to about where the top grate would be in the middle chamber.
I am not sure of how to post pics on here to show you the 'fence' I have made- if I can even find the pic.

drdianes

Thank you for the advice. I purchased 1/2 inch diameter clear plastic tubing and slit it length wise. I put it over the edge. It acts like a bumper. It has worked so far.

nyhcx516x

Originally Posted by vonodie1
http:///forum/post/2816757
I went to Michael's (craft store) and spent around 80 cents on a piece of black plastic needlepoint screen cut it to fit (two pieces) and took an ice pick and poked 3 small holes just large enough to fit a small black wire tie through to keep fish from jumping to the back side.
I did away with the carbon filter and bio balls. I put my carbon/ gfi in a little bag and clip it in the middle chamber under the water fall. I keep my water level to about where the top grate would be in the middle chamber.
I am not sure of how to post pics on here to show you the 'fence' I have made- if I can even find the pic.
The needlepoint screen works wonders, ill post a pic of min later when i get home flrom work.

perfectdark

FWIW Clownfish are not known jumpers... not saying they dont but its not very common for them to do. I would question why they are looking to relocate as they are territorial by nature and if no threat is apparent they would find no reason to look elsewhere. JMO.
On another note I was not impressed with the filtration of the bio cube but with some minor modifications I dont find anything bothersome with it.

snaredrum

Move the carbon filter OUT of its little slots and put it in front of the slots. They designed the filter pad too close to the spillover into the second chamber. I put mine at an angle for even better flow. These tanks should also have a skimmer in the middle chamber. I use a sapphire aquatics in my 29 BioCube and it works wonders. The back wall is short. If your tank is leaning just a very little towards the back, it will also have this problem. Since moving the filter pad and adding the skimmer (Moving the water faster) I haven't had any problems. I seems they design these tank and don't field test them. I guess thats up to us. I was ready to throw mine out in the trash with these problems but with a little thought, my tank is very nice now.

V

vonodie1

I don't know if this picture will show up, but I am going to try it anyway.... This is what I did with the needlepoint sheet.

nitschke65

Originally Posted by DrDianeS
http:///forum/post/2817818
Thank you for the advice. I purchased 1/2 inch diameter clear plastic tubing and slit it length wise. I put it over the edge. It acts like a bumper. It has worked so far.
Nice work! Don't give up on your biocube! You'll find all kinds of advice on this and many other, sites; but, most of the fun is filtering through the options you find and combining them into your own unique solution.
I've done the following mods to my bc29.
1. Added third bulb (50/50) and moonlight upgrade.
2. Added loc-line, Koralia power head and rotating water deflector
3. Biocube skimmer in chamber one with heater
4. Chamber 2 - Scraped paint off back, Chaetomorpha in bottom (under devider) 80% of bioballs (in mesh bag for easy removal and cleaning) Chemi-pure elite on top of bioballs, original drip tray on top. Fuge light on back of tank running opposite of display lighting.
I haven't had any issue with livestock going over the wall, but if I do in the future, maybe I'll go buy some 1/2" diameter clear plastic tubing!

snaredrum

Originally Posted by nitschke65
http:///forum/post/2819963
Nice work! Don't give up on your biocube! You'll find all kinds of advice on this and many other, sites; but, most of the fun is filtering through the options you find and combining them into your own unique solution.
I've done the following mods to my bc29.
1. Added third bulb (50/50) and moonlight upgrade.
2. Added loc-line, Koralia power head and rotating water deflector
3. Biocube skimmer in chamber one with heater
4. Chamber 2 - Scraped paint off back, Chaetomorpha in bottom (under devider) 80% of bioballs (in mesh bag for easy removal and cleaning) Chemi-pure elite on top of bioballs, original drip tray on top. Fuge light on back of tank running opposite of display lighting.
I haven't had any issue with livestock going over the wall, but if I do in the future, maybe I'll go buy some 1/2" diameter clear plastic tubing!
WOW! Nice idea. Now I know why I read this foreum so much. How hard was it to get the paint off?