BioOrb Life Aquariums

clown-lover

Hello,
It's been a LONG time since I've been back on these forums. Almost 2 years now. And wow, this website has really improved! Great job!
I got out of saltwater because it was a hassle with the water changes on my 55 gallon, while I was in and out of living in two different places.
Since then, I've had a little girl, and I'd like to get back into saltwater for both of our enjoyment.
I was interested to find this BioOrb aquarium (16 gallon), and was wondering if anyone has any insight on it (along with the saltwater kit you can get for tropical aquariums).
I think something of that size is what I'm looking for, nothing big because of the trouble I remember from the water changes.
This BioOrb aquarium seems to be quite easy to maintain, and may just be what I'm looking for.
Any input is appreciated.

E

eric b 125

i've seen them before online. way overpriced IMO. filtration and lighting would be my concerns. it would be cool to have a round aquarium with all of the rock in the center. i think that the dough you would spend on the bioORB you'd be able to get a much nicer nano with better filtration/lighting.

clown-lover

Here is a description of the Kit that allows you to convert it to a marine aquarium:
Detailed Description
Compatible with any Tropical biOrb or biUbe
Marine Conversion Kit
The tropical marine environment is one of the most colourful and beautiful locations in the world. Recreating this underwater paradise in an aquarium has traditionally been very complicated and expensive. The latest innovation from Reef One is a one box solution that eliminates the complexity and finally makes marine fish keeping easy. The Marine Conversion Kit is an exciting entry into the fascinating world of marine fishkeeping.
Features
Converts any Tropical biOrb or biUbe into a Marine Aquarium.
Everything required is included in the box.
Easiest step-by-step kit for setting up a marine aquarium.
No additional equipment or chemicals required.
Keep a variety of colourful small marine fish and cleanup crew.
Unique marine cartridge system keeps maintenance simple.
Traditionally large marine aquariums include a complicated array of equipment from Power Headers to Protein Skimmers, not to mention the bewildering assortment of chemical additives and adjusters. However, the Marine Conversion Kit allows you to simply change your tropical biOrb or biUbe into a complete Marine aquarium. The Marine Conversion Kit is designed to allow you to effectively keep small marine fish and a variety of other marine creatures such as hermit crabs, shrimps and marine snails.
Box Content
The Marine Conversion Kit includes all the items you will need to convert your tropical biOrb or biUbe into a marine aquarium.
4x unique porous modular artificial live rock.
Premeasured reef salt packs for easy setup.
Unique marine cartridge - Improve water quality and simplify maintenance.
2x Medium Easy-plants.
Calibrated Hydrometer/thermometer.
Halogen Light Gasket.
Water level measure - to simplify setup.
1x bottle of Instant aquarium 2 (Beneficial Bacteria Booster).
Water conditioners.
High quality Marine fish pellet food sample pack.
Step-by-Step setup guide.
Water Testing Card/Guide
The Marine Conversion Kit overcomes the complicated challanges traditionally associated with creating a marine aquarium, allowing you more time to focus on the wonderful marine creatures you can keep.
For over 3 years the Marine Conversion Kit has received extensive consumer testing with non-fishkeepers to ensure that the process of creating and maintaining a marine aquarium is as simple as possible.

E

eric b 125

here's where i see potential problems:
1) that artificial modular live rock. there's nothing quite like live rock. how are you supposed to seed this artificial stuff? can you even use LR in this system or do you have to use this modular stuff with limited aquascaping capabilities?
2) theres not sufficient light to have corals
3) with no live rock and no skimmer, their filtration best be amazing. if it's good enough to replace LR and a skimmer, i want a big one on my 125!
4) you're going to need a refractometer, so why get charged for the hydrometer
i think that the challenges associated with having smaller tanks are going to be compounded by lack of LR and skimmer. if you want a small tank, i still think aquapod or a cube will be your best bet. or check out tenecor

gmflex

i like the redsea max ; the 34 gallon..
I'm planning to purchase one by year's end...
the prices have dropped and most websites are offering free shipping...

mark_d

Well, I happen to have a 34g Red Sea. Its slightly used but in good condition. I also happen to be in Tx and I think you are to.... if you're interested in buyin it from me I'd love to sell it to you. Lemme know.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by Clown-Lover
http:///forum/post/2982518
Here is a description of the Kit that allows you to convert it to a marine aquarium:
This sounds like a toy. I'd suggest you look at some of the major online supply dealers. They have several all-in-one kits that really do have what you need. The Red Sea package, mentioned above is a very good product.

star27624

The biOrb is a cool concept, but in reality sucks from my experience. I am much happier with the all-in-one nanotanks, like the biocubes.

clown-lover

Thanks everyone for your thoughts on it.
I have most of my equipment from my 55 gallon still. (Including LR...that isn't 'live' anymore).
I don't think I want to get into corals again. As much as I love them, I wanted to have a fish only tank...with maybe a clown and clean-up crew.
But if it is best to stay away from this tank, even just for a fish only, then I trust the advice.
Thanks again