Birds????

skrimpz

DOes anyone know any borads that have to do with birds my mother got a sun conure today from a couple at her work who are getting a divorce and neither wants the poor thing so said she would take it ( she always wanted a bird) anyways i know quite a bit about birds but am unsure how to make it feel totally comforatble after it has been completely unrooted anfter being with those people for 3 years and is now with us. Any suggs...Thanx

molamola

My husband and I adopted a six year old Scarlet Maccaw that was handfed by its previous owner, who had become too ill to care for her anymore. When we brought her to the house, we set the cage up, exactly as it was before in a quiet spot and spent a lot of time with the cage door open, sitting far away, but within her view, just to get her curious. Each day, we would move a little closer, with the door still open, until she finally poked her head out and gathered up enough courage to explore her new environment. After that, we slowly added new toys, moved her to a more active part of the house, offered her treats, and now she is as noisy and content as ever and she has learned how to vocally outperfom just about anyone.
Since a Sun Conure is smaller, it might help to put the cage up high, so the bird will feel more at ease. I don't know if any of this helps, but patience and starting out with a calm yet social environment can work wonders. Do you know if the bird is a male or a female? Also, keep an eye out for neurotic behavior like plucking. Hope everything works out! I'll dig up some of my books to see if there's anything else in there.

loopy

I used to breed birds. If the bird starts to pace on it's perch or act nervous or scared....(puffing of feathers means cold or scared) cover it's cage with something dark. Birds need lots of 'down time'. Talk to it in a soft voice but don't attempt to try to take it out of it's cage yet, give it a couple weeks unless he shows interest, like climbing on the sides and making noise for attention. Try and keep your hand out of the cage as much as possible right now....well, your mom, or who ever it the care taker. Fill the water and food and them get out and away. Give the bird time to adjust to you and the new surroundings, and yes...birds feel safer the higher up they are...good call.
Good luck, birds are wonderful pets.

paulnlex

I have 7 birds. When you put their cage higher up than you are tall, they will think they are superior to you. Always have their cages below eye level. I made this mistake and put my 2 parrotlets up high, now they beat me up nonstop, never shut up, and are just plain nasty. My other birds who are lower than eye level are extremely nice. I moved the parrotlets lower, and now they are nicer, and let me hold them.

skrimpz

Thanx so much for your input!! I will just have to go very slow with his or her, were not sure we are planning on taking it to the vet next week becuase the previous owners thought it was mean to clip its wings but i dont want us to be trying to handle it and have it fly around the room and possible hurt its self so, i could to its wings myself i know how but i figurged if i did that it may be mad at me then and may not want to bond. Thanx again

molamola

Yes, I agree that keeping a bird up high for a long time will give it an opportunity to develop an attitude, but in the beginning when it is unsure of who you are and what you are about, it will feel much safer and more secure in a high spot. That's where birds tend to go when they're nervous or intimidated. Sun Conures have a different temperament than parrotlettes as well. Do your parrotlettes talk? Just curious. I was told once that they would, but have only seen and not heard them.

paulnlex

No, they don't. Im still in highschool, always busy with that and practices, etc , never able to teach them. One mimics kissing noises, and sometimes other animals' noises but thats about it, and he only does it when hes in a really good mood (meaning close to never)