Birdsnest progression pics

nate213

I got 2 scraggly loose frags of birdsnest back in Dec for $5. The first pic was about 1-month later on 01-05-09. Second photo was taken today.

nate213

I have the 48" Current Outer Orbit Pro 2x250 MH. The tank is 75g and the birdsnest is at the bottom center. See full tank shot.
I have been battling some cyano, so right now Im only running 4 hours on the MH and 8-10 hours on the actinics.

nate213

I found a pic on my phone from a couple of days after I got it. So here it is from a $5 frag after 3 months. The change is pretty dramatic. Probably the best purchase I have made so far.

nate213

Thanks Tizzo. Im pretty crude at photography compared to my wife and and my sister. They do it professionally. One of these days, Im going to have to take some lessons from them.

nate213

So I found this photo taken about a month ago. Still growing strong. It is hard to tell how big it is really getting, because I keep having to back up with the camera.
It is bigger than a softball. Birdsnest is great, from frag to full blown colony in 6-months.

d-man

ya I love getting little frags and growing them big, I've got some of my bets colors at great prices doing that

markw

Both are awesome! Beautiful corals! I now love them! How do you frag these? Just clip a piece of the end of a 'arm' off and glue it to a plug?
Mark

markw

Im fairly certain I have a dead birdsnest in my cichlid tank..

got it for $1. Guy was going to throw it away.
Mark

markw

Im fairly certain I have a dead birdsnest in my cichlid tank..dont mind the algae..its almost right infront of a window.

got it for $1. Guy was going to throw it away.
Mark