Birdsnest turning light pink

When I purchased my birdnest-frag it was a nice, bright pink. The tips were white, but now it is getting much lighter. I feed with photoplankton every other week, and it is sort of middle-top of my tank. I have four 36" 96watt bulbs in my 40 gallon tank. Is it too much light? I thought they needed a lot. Any ideas? Thanks in advance,
Paula

It is definately not turning brown. It is attached to a rock and I am nt sure what you mean about the skeleton at the base.
paula

D

daniel411

I can't see that being "to much" light. Normally birdsnest, is kept under metal halides. Although I've seen pictures of it doing good under vho/pc. I'd be more concerned of it not having enough light 2/3 up in your tank, than having to much light. How much current do you have on it? They need a medium-high amount, from what I've read.
Is it possible that any sweeper tentacles from other corals are contacting it?
If you have a mixed type of corals in the tank, you may be having some chemical warfare going on. I think that normally just stunts growth though.
Oh, I'm sure you've already seen this... but its just hilarious watching Yates after his crash
!

also... MH? Where would I start? I know NOTHING about lighting. Do I need a ballast? What is a good example of exactly what I need? How much (say I want all good corals, clams, etc) total watts? Can I use them with all the lighting I have now? I dont seem to have any more room. I have some other canopy in the back on top of my tank glass that has a bulb in it also, it came with the tank. Would I just remove it and put MH canopy there?

D

daniel411

Originally posted by InigoMontoya
also... MH? Where would I start? I know NOTHING about lighting. Do I need a ballast? What is a good example of exactly what I need? How much (say I want all good corals, clams, etc) total watts? Can I use them with all the lighting I have now? I dont seem to have any more room. I have some other canopy in the back on top of my tank glass that has a bulb in it also, it came with the tank. Would I just remove it and put MH canopy there?

Yes, you'd need a new ballast for metal halides. What are the dimensions of your 40g? I use a 150w Metal Halide (double ended bulb) on a 38g and seem to be doing great, usually. Others may suggest a 250w de bulb/ballast though. With the addition of atinic supplemental lighting from vho/pc/no. I can find and post some pictures tommorrow. You'd most likely have to remove your quad pc's and pickup a whole new hood combo to go the mh route.
I'm not saying you need MH for Birdsnest, its just usually the suggested lighting for them.

S

spsaddict

the pcs just dont have enough intensity... thats what they are lackin... so an upgrade in lighting would hurt. otherwise your gunna have a brown birdsnest... how long have you had it. is it growing in your tank.....

Thanks Daniel! I found something on ---- that was a good price, don't know if it works or not, but it said it is a growth light or something like that. Would it be worth a try since it is pretty affordable?
*edited*

kpk

I wouldn't use that, doesn't have the right k etc. If you want something cheap, but decent, you could try this *edited* and still use your pc's for suppliment.

D

daniel411

Well I can't check the links because of the board rules. You can email me neversummer411NOSPAM@yahoo.com
remove the NOSPAM
-the lights I posted a pic of above would be around $400+ for your tanks size
-for about $199 or so you can have a medal halide pendant like this, found most anywhere online. You don't really need atinic supplements in most cases. Look at BrooklynJohnny's 54 gallon bow front for an example.

D

daniel411

-similar but DE/HQI style metal halide. A bit cooler looking, and a more powerful bulb for less watts. $350

cherokee angel

Originally posted by Daniel411
Heres a pic of a metal halide vho hood combo:

If you dont mind me asking how much did that cost?
I would like to find one like that.