Birthday present from my wife

caz2022

Hey all, as the title says, got a present from my wife a few days ago. A nice frag of Montipora. I love her to death for getting it for me. A few questions though. I currently have it halfway down my 75gal dirctly under my 216w T5s and a powerhead blowing right over it. Will this placement work or should I move it? If so where? Should I fire up my 2x110 vho's to give it more light?

mrdc

I would keep it where it is for now. If it likes whenre it's at, you will see growth soon. They grow fairly fast.

caz2022

Do you think the T-5s are enough lighting or should I fire up the vho's? I have noticed what appears to be a "graying" of sorts-I dont think thats a good thing. You can see it around "six oclock" in the pic.

cranberry

If you just got it, I doubt the lack of light is causing it to recede just it. I would look to other reasons. But it would definitely benefit from more light.

caz2022

Ya I figured more would be better. Also is it ok to have a 900 gph powerhead blowing on it or should I direct it away?
*On a side note* does anyone know what will happen if I plug a standard 40w flouresent bulb into a 110w vho outlet? It appears my vho antic bulb has "taken a s--t"? The only other vho I have right now is a second 10k daylight and I think it would "wash" my tank out.

mrdc

They benefit from good flow in order to get sediment off of it. Not sure about your bulb questions.

caz2022

Updated pics. Im rather concerned about the white spot. It hasnt gotten any bigger and I see polyps on it but Im still concerned.

ladyreefseeker

Administrator
Staff member
IMO, Aslong as the 'white center doesn't keep getting larger, it will survive. It is going to grow from the edges so just watch to see that tissue stay healthy. I used to have a cap that we broke in pieces and glued each piece to rocks and they grew under vho's only. I think they can handle a range of lighting. Just don't mess with it too much. Good luck :)

caz2022

suggestions? my tank is reading well within the norm. I dont have algae growing on anything else? Should I move it? Point the powerhead away for indirect current?

caz2022

well I just tried to move it and it broke-not a good sign I assume. It was located halfway down my tank with a powerhead pointed at it. I attached the broken part on a rock about 5 inches under the surface (roughly 10 inches under my 110 VHO) but now Im worried itll be too close to my Xenia. I'll try posting a FTS but my camera truely does blow.

caz2022

Yes the latest shots where taken with 4x54w T5s and 2x110w vhos. Alas it didnt make it :(
I feel horrible since was the first thing my wife ever went out and purchased for my hobby.

caz2022

An update: When the Monti broke, there were two large pieces and one tiny one. Both large pieces have died. The tiny one (about a half an inch long) however has yet to lose its color. Is only a couple of inches under the surface but I turned off the vho's since they are power hogs. I dont know wether to get my hopes up or not but...........................