Black Clownfish w/Orange Faces

froogy

Hello! I'm new to this forum, but not so new to saltwater tanks. This is my first post! This past weekend, I went to a new saltwater store. The Reef Mystique opened up last November in Lake Stevens, WA. They have a 400 gallon walk-around tank and in it, they had a pair of black (dark black) clownfishes with 3 white stripes and orange around the mouth. The owner said that they are genetically bred in Florida and he gets around 6 pairs a year. They almost look like little orcas! Has anyone ever seen or heard of these before? I should have asked the scientific name so I could google them just to find out more info. While they were super cute, I'm still going to get a pair of gold-striped maroons instead.

froogy

Very similar. There wasn't any orange at all on the fins or body. The black was jet black, the white was very white. There wasn't as much orange on the face, the orange was really on and around the lips only, not on the cheeks. The first of the 3 white stripes were farther back on the body from the head too. What type of clownfish are they?

bang guy

You are describing and Ocellaris Clownfish commonly called a Darwin's Clown. It's the same species and the Clownfish in my picture and it's also the same species as the "False Percula". They are all Ocellaris Clownfish, it's just a different Color Morph. If it a true Bred Darwin's then the Orange face will slowly fade to black as it matures.

bill109

wow this is wierd you are describing my cllwonfish
hes all black with 2 white stripes and his face is a burnt orange
hes small and i payed about 50 foro him i think
ill get some pics.!
-bill109

bang guy

Originally Posted by bill109
wow this is wierd you are describing my cllwonfish
hes all black with 2 white stripes and his face is a burnt orange
hes small and i payed about 50 foro him i think
ill get some pics.!
-bill109
2 stripes would likely be Amphiprion polymnus - the Saddleback Clownfish.

bill109

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
2 stripes would likely be Amphiprion polymnus - the Saddleback Clownfish.
no maybe its has three? its wierd but i dont know i know it looks like a Percula so maybe it has 3 stripes.