Black Edged Eel

puppy

Hi, I have a 50 gallon tank w/ a black edged eel, 2 turbo snails, starfish and a sea urchin and some brown algae (Which i dearly hate) anyways, i would like some tank mates for the eel (Fish) i would also like to add some live rock and coral in the future. do you think the eel would be ok too add to a reef and if he would eat a yellow tang or does it just depend on thier size? he eats fish fillets (Speckled trout) he gets along fine w/ the inverts. The puffer lover I am, i would love to add a puffer but, i have the inverts in there. what do you think i should do? i have a bio wheel filter w/ a undergravel filter and a shoplite. and some air stones. how could i get rid of the algae?

jonathanpac

When I first put my black edged in my tank had 4 damsels. Well they were gone in about 4 hours. My particular eel was very aggresive. I have seen a tank with a yellow tang and a black edge in it but a tang well eventually need a larger tank. You may want to think about getting another tank devoted to your eel and use ur current tank as a mini-reef with fish. I can't think of any reef-safe fish that would fit well in that size tank without being prey.

n.y.mets

Originally Posted by justchillin
i've never seen a black edge eel...any pics??
this is my black edged eel

vanos

Get rid of the undergravel filter and airstones. You're in saltwater now not freshwater. Get some mexican turbo snails for the algae. Do you have a protein skimmer? Do you use tap water? That could be the result. How often do you change the water?

philgmiami

Originally Posted by Vanos
Get rid of the undergravel filter and airstones. You're in saltwater now not freshwater. Get some mexican turbo snails for the algae. Do you have a protein skimmer? Do you use tap water? That could be the result. How often do you change the water?
DOES ANYONE SEE AIR STONES OR AN UNDERGRAVEL FILTER IN THESE EEL PICS?.. I DONT :notsure: HE HAS 3 FILTERS W/ BIO WHEELS ON THE BACK

greginohio

I Had A Terrible Problem W/brown Algea, It Was Even Growing On The Sand! A Cleanup Crew Of Hermits And Turbos Fixed It - Permanently!! Best Of Luck, And I Love Your Eel, He Looks Really Cool. P.s. My Experience Is That Most Eels Eat Whatever Fits In Their Mouth - Be Careful.

bigb

Originally Posted by philgmiami
DOES ANYONE SEE AIR STONES OR AN UNDERGRAVEL FILTER IN THESE EEL PICS?.. I DONT :notsure: HE HAS 3 FILTERS W/ BIO WHEELS ON THE BACK
Man chill out! Your brother dug up a four year old post to show his eel pic. If you read the whole thread you would see that Vanos was responding to the original poster of the thread and responding to his Q.