Black Mollies

ttv83

I have used Black mollies to cycle a QT tank (30gal). I acclimated them very slowly from fresh water to salt. After a few weeks, one of them had babies. I’ve had them for about 3 months now in my QT tank and they are doing pretty good. I also have a sick hippo tang in with them now and I'm in the first week of hypo sal.
My question is can I put block mollies into my display tank? (75 gal) I have 1 yell tang – 2 damsels – 1 PJ cardinal – 1 maroon clown – 1 bubble tip anemone – 1 choc chip star – 1 serpent star. Does anyone have any experience with black mollies in a marine tank?
Thanks,
--Tim

ttv83

They look great and a coulpe of them seem to be getting some color along their dorsal fins. I not sure but this may be the result of being in slat wter.
My biggest concern is how would the mollies react to my anemone.

phil1964

What do you mean,
"acclimated them very slowly from fresh water to salt"
How slowly?
I may try this.

ttv83

I got four black mollies that were fresh water. I put them in a one gallon container with the water they came in. It only filled it up about 1/3. I poured about 16 oz of salt water in there and left them alone for 2 hours. Then poured out about half the water, then added about 1 quart of slatwater. Left them alone for about 2 more hours.
Removed about half the water again, then added about 1/2 gallon of ssaltwater. By this time they were prteey much in salt water. I would guess the sal would be about 1.020 at this point. I lfet the alon fro another while, say 1 hour them dropped them in. They have been doing pretty good, and having babies Left and right.

dive1

I have 3 sail fin molleys in my 110 reef. I placed them in a bucket with the water they came in and did a drip (about 1 drop a sec) from the reef to the bucket. As it filled up I would put the water back into the sump. I did this till the gravity was the same in both tanks. It took 10-12 hrs. Molleys are brackish fish anyway but guppies might be a problem. I would suspect they will die.