Black or Blue background (please post pics)

mbnum2

I am spray painting the back of my
new 75 gal, and was trying to decide which color. Deep blue or Black. Please post any pics that you have with painted backgrounds to help me out!

Thank you!!!!!!

thirty5

Mine is blue.....
My Fuge is black, but it really dont matter. The Blue makes it nice and bright.
175 Bow

R

regina13

I do not have a picture, but I like blue more with fish only or fowlr and black for a reef. With the blue, it shows off your fishies colors and the black on the reef makes the corals colors pop! just my opinion though

<3scopas55

I dont have a pic but i agree with regina. I have blue on my fowlr but it can get kind of irritating because it shows every little speck of algea on the glass but it does make it bright. Im also spray painting my 55 reef black because it will make all of my fish and corals stand out better. Black is better IMO
good luck!

R

regina13

Originally Posted by mbnum2
What about painting the sides? I see some people do this...opinions?
I don't like painting the sides b/c it is fun to look threw them down your tank lol.

sepulatian

I bought a background for my tank. It was black on one side and bright blue faded to black on the other. I never used it. I like the white wall.

anonome

I have Ocean Blue spray paint on my background.....2 years ago. But remember, the coraline will take over the back of the tank, making it purple. And with the rockwork, if you get a lot, will block the back wall pretty much.
IMO don't paint the side walls, it takes away from looking down the sides to the other side to watch the fish.

mbnum2

yeah, coraline is all over the back of my 55 right now.
I have a bought black bought background on it, but the spray paint looks so much better IMO.

nano reefer

It depends on what you are looking for and where the tank is. If you are looking for your tank to act as a reading light, blue will brighten things up nicely outside the tank. If you want corals to look more colorful, black will bring out the color of the corals a little more. If you have your tank in a nice bright room or in a place where people will see it when they walk in your door, blue has a nice effect, but if the tank is in a room with darker colored walls or tucked away in your basement or family den black is the better option. I have mine painted black because the wall color is a blue-gray and is in a room with not so bright lighting.

nano reefer

Originally Posted by mbnum2
yeah, coralline is all over the back of my 55 right now.
I have a bought black bought background on it, but the spray paint looks so much better IMO.
Also, black hides trade nuisance algae better and coralline looks way better on black.