black paint safe for reef tank

garycarr

Is there any black paint that is safe for a reef tank? My overflows have white pvc in them and with the new high powered lights I have ordered the white pvc is going to stick out like a sore thumb. The back of my tank is painted black on the outside as well and it needs a touch up.
pic attached of tank with normal low powered lights.

richard rendos

I would not paint them...they won't stay white for long...coralline algae and sponges will quickly turn the white to purple/green/red/etc.

fishgeek01

i imagine the only paints that would be okay to use in your tank would be those specified for marine applications (ie: boating) Even then i would be hesitant to paint your pvc and then put it back in your tank. that is my 2 cents worth

big

Like Richard said the coralline algae will fix the issue. It just will take some time. If something is in the tank do not paint it.........

chipmaker

Krylon Fusion paint is made specifically for PVC and its perfectly safe. There is lots of folks that do exactly like you are wanting to do. Once its dry its inert and in no way will hurt anything.

jsteiert

Just to add my two cents worth, paint will not adhere to any slick or shiny surface, before you apply the paint be sure you scuff it up so that there is a good surface profile for the coating to adhere to. Glass is probably going to be almost impossible to get paint to stick long term, eventually as it cures it will shrink and become brittle once that happens it will start delaminating from the glass.
As the tank heats up and cools down it will also expand and contract even so slightly that will cause any paint to start delaminating or peeling off.
PVC should be fine as long as you scratch it up real good before you paint it.
The only time paint is going to be harmful is during the cureing process, that is the time when all solvents are escaping from the coating, the solvents will certainly be harmful to your tank. Some alkyds can take several weeks to fully cure, all dependent upon temp and air circulation.
So be careful, with proper surface preparation and curing time it should be fine.
Sorry about being so wordy....Just my professional opinion.

my way

Originally Posted by jsteiert
Glass is probably going to be almost impossible to get paint to stick long term, eventually as it cures it will shrink and become brittle once that happens it will start delaminating from the glass.
As the tank heats up and cools down it will also expand and contract even so slightly that will cause any paint to start delaminating or peeling off
You can paint the glass without it delaminating, it WILL scratch easily, but I've painted many tanks with total success.
The Krylon Fusion will stick to the PVC well, Soak a scotch-brite pad in laquer thinner and scuff the PVC before painting it.

michaeltx

something else you can do that will take some time for it to grow out is GSP or simliar frags glued to the overflow. it really looks great I have seen 2 or 3 tanks that this has been done to. but it will take some time to grow and fill it up.
Mike

knedrag

thanks for all the suggestions. I actually found a place that sells black PVC, so that settles my problem.