Black Ribbon Eel

Ok I was wondering what a black ribbon eel's lifespan is. My lfs has one in the back and has had it ever since it was little bitty. They claim to have had it for 6 years. The girl that works there is one of my friends and offered it to me for 45 bucks since she was going to keep it for herself along time ago but never got around to setting up a tank for it. It eats like a horse and eats very aggresively. I knew this was good because it is hard to get them to eat and most of them die. It was pretty big I could tell even though it was curled up. I felt bad about it being in such a little tank which was actually a sump that couldnt have been more than 50 gallons. My only question was if I took it home for my 125, since I have always wanted a ribbon eel, is how long would it live if it is already 6+ years old. I just didnt want to buy something that was going to die within a month or 2 and be out 45 bucks. On the other hand I do kind of want to get it because I love ribbon eels and want to get it out of that sump as well as it is hard to get a good one like that. I didnt wouldnt mind the 45 bucks at all if its lifespan was more than 6 years or so but I am sorta thinking I am buying a eel that is going to croak. Even if it only lives a year more that will be fine with me but a month or 2 wont do. Any info on their lifespan or your opinion if you think I should go for it or not would help. thanks.

mark-24

Well, if you see it eat first hand, I would say get it, but if people just say "Oh yeah, this guy eats great" ask to see it. Ribbon eels are very very hard to keep alive, they just don't eat in captivity. They are very hardy fish, but they usally end up starving to death. They also are escape artists to the extreme. Well all eels are for that matter (one my snowflake went into the retur jet), but ribbons are by far the best at it.
Good luck- Mark

fugu

i had a blue ribbon eel about 4ft in length. i never saw it eat although things would dissapear from the tank.
i wouldnt be able to tell you about there lifespan as the eel climbed out of the tank from anopening where my skimmer was placed. these guys are constantly trying to get out of the tank so be careful. also i would be interested to know what you saw the lfs people feed the eel.
good luck

gibbus

Agree with everyone else, make sure it is eating. My lfs has a black ribbon eel for sale to, cant remember the price.

von_rahvin

if you have a closed tank and you have seen it eat i say go for it. i love eels they are fantastic looking critters. in the wild the big moray's will follow you down the reef.