Black Sand Bed

shu-perman

I'm in the process of designing a new tank....90g-125g corner FOWLR....I was thinking having a black sand bed b/c it looks cool and would like a different look than my blue backed 60g FOWLR w/ white sand....
Are there any cons to this substrate????
I have herd I could have problems maintaining a stable PH is this true????

crimzy

I have black sand and I do tend to have low ph in the tank, (although I'm not positive that the sand is the cause). I just use ph buffer as needed and it's not a problem.
I have not had any problems with the sand and I really like the look. Algae is pretty much invisible on it. As the sand ages, you will get more white specs mixed with the black so the color is not as pure.

shu-perman

Originally Posted by crimzy
...... I just use ph buffer as needed and it's not a problem....
"as needed" meaning at the time of your water changes or more often than that????

crimzy

Originally Posted by Shu-perman
"as needed" meaning at the time of your water changes or more often than that????
No, I usually buffer every couple of months.

jdboy

I've been running it in my tank for over a year now and the PH is very stable. Mine is actually black and white. Came in 20lb. bags and now I can't find it anywhere. Looks great in my opinion too.

biggredd

PICS???????? I am setting mine up now and never even thought of that angle. Black background, black sand, and colorful fish? That would be awesome.

crimzy

Originally Posted by Biggredd
PICS???????? I am setting mine up now and never even thought of that angle. Black background, black sand, and colorful fish? That would be awesome.
Here you go...

crimzy

Originally Posted by I<3Fish
crimzy, how big is your tank? Nice Apaulette Shark! And Sohal Tang too!

oxbeard

Awesome tank!!!
I'm getting ready to cycle my second tank. Planning on using black sand in it. Looks like I made a good decision.

shu-perman

Originally Posted by jdboy
I've been running it in my tank for over a year now and the PH is very stable. Mine is actually black and white. Came in 20lb. bags and now I can't find it anywhere. Looks great in my opinion too.

Do a google search and type in "black aquarium sand" and you will find many sites that sell it....