black sea urchin

cranberry

Just always know where it is when you are cleaning, Justin, and you will be fine. And it's only a big sting.

I have a spiny urchin not like the one in the pics but more pointed. My 12 year old moves him around all the time. When he was 11 he got stung by it. They call it that but he says it is more like barbs on the spines that make tiny cuts. He was fine and didn't complain long. I always warn him of him but he tells me to relax he is fine and moves him about. He knows how to handle it so he doesn't get stung.
I did notice this is a reef tank forum. I am planning on putting him in a different tank from my reef tank because he will go after corals if not fed well. I don't want to be policing him. His spines also knock off the corals etc.

timbodmb

I made the mistake of getting one...
Unfortunately, the lfs didn't tell me that they get the size of a basketball- now, I have a 55 gal, and he is the size of a very large softball... needless to say, you need to be very careful when cleaning the thank. I have been poked (1 time) and it went down to the bone of my thumb. Hurt for about 4 days. In retrospect, I wouldn't have gotten him. I'm thinking of returning him to the store now that he's getting so big.

kazara

When i was diving in St. Thomas i saw them everwhere. Some where bigger then softballs...just huge. I have some pics of them...I will try and find them.