Black Spots on Clowns

dfabrikant

Please help! We just bought these clown fish and a couple weeks later we did a water change, the next morning they had black spots all over them. They are still eating well and no other fish has any just the clowns. We started treating the water with Kick Ich about 2 days ago because the store said it was possibly a rare black ich but its odd because his entire mouth is black, I also read on another site it was a possible coral sting but I dont really have anything that does sting so I am lost.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
This is hyper-melaninization. This is a skin reaction from the fish's exposure to the stinging cells of corals or anemones. Nothing to worry about but your clown may have this permanently.
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/127010/diseased-fish-pictures#post_914754

geridoc

Beth gave me this same advice at least 3 years ago, and the fish is doing fine today. Just seconding Beth's advice

sweatervest13

Quote:
I also read on another site it was a possible coral sting but I dont really have anything that does sting so I am lost.
It looks like you have plenty of corals in your tank that could sting the clown. LOL
Like Beth said, they should be just fine. Cool looking fish BTW.

dfabrikant

Thanks for the help!! Still havent figured out what coral they never go near them at least while im watching :) still has spots. Hopefully it do fine as you state