Black Sun Coral

W

weatherby

Hi all,
I was wondering if anyone had any experience with these in a nano tank display? I came into a very healthy 12 gallon Nano Cube (tm) and have been seriously considering putting a black sun coral as the center piece of the tank. At the moment there's some live rock, (not much, 4 pieces of small size), one piece was a Christmas Tree Worm rock and now has one worm left on it and some bristle worms as well. The only other inhabitants for the tank are a three stripe damsel, a black brittle star, one zebra hermit, 3 or so small dwarf blue leg hermits, a nasarius snail.. and a TON of pods.
Is it likely a hunk of black sun would survive in such a tank? I know they don't require any meaningful light, (ie MH, T5 etc), but beyond this, is there any tricks to keeping this type of coral?
Thanks!

05xrunner

you gotta feed each polyp. 2-3times a week after you have it acclimated to your tank. When i got my large orange suncoral I fed it everyday at the same time for a week and a half..That trained it to come out when lights are on now..I also read the black sun coral are the easiest of the 3 to care for.

05xrunner

no..i use to do the way of putting it in a tupperware bowl with food..and let it sit for 15min or so for week and a half.
Now I use a syringe to squirt each head with cyclopezee

W

weatherby

Ok, how about getting the polyps to open in order to feed them?

05xrunner

thats what the week or so is for...its not really feeding it much...its more coaxing them out so they come out knowing there is food. It took mine over a week to fully open.

W

weatherby

A week of feeding regularly huh? Ok. I think I might give it a go. A shop near where I work has some small frags for cheap so might see how well they do.
Will the 2ltr bottle spot feeding hood method work for coaxing them out?
Also, any signs to watch for to know if they're even alive still and being stubborn, or dead? :notsure:

05xrunner

this shop wouldnt be Petland in monreville is it.
I know they got a smaller frag for 15bucks
usually even when fully closed you can see the mouth...but on the black its really hard..you need to use a flashlight to see if its in there.

W

weatherby

Originally Posted by 05xrunner
this shop wouldnt be Petland in monreville is it.
I know they got a smaller frag for 15bucks
usually even when fully closed you can see the mouth...but on the black its really hard..you need to use a flashlight to see if its in there.
LOL!!!! I just saw your location!
No, actually it's Under The Sea in Cranberry. I work in Wexford. They have a big orange one for $40, a black for $40 and a few small frags of black for $10/ea.
Also have a Sea Apple if anyone wants to give it a go.... :scared:

05xrunner

ohhh ok...I was there once before
I am sure its still alive. Just use a flashlight to see if you can see its mouths in the heads.

W

weatherby

Cool, thanks!
I'll give it a go and wait for a week before panicking if no polyps open..

Seriously though, thanks for the info!

05xrunner

since you are in wexford...have you ever been to the Pet Supplies plus on McKnight road...I heard its supposed to be really good.
Wanted to find out before I would travel out there

W

weatherby

Originally Posted by 05xrunner
since you are in wexford...have you ever been to the Pet Supplies plus on McKnight road...I heard its supposed to be really good.
Wanted to find out before I would travel out there

No, not yet. That's south of where I work by like 15 minutes I'd guess and just haven't had the spare time after work to go down that way. (I live like 60miles north of Wexford so..good drive home).

The Pet Supplies Plus where I live no longer sells Saltwater fish, they only sell dry goods & filters etc now.