Blackcap not adjusting to Hypo

jess74

I put my Blackcap in my QT along with 3 other fish all from my main tank, due to ICH. I lowered the SG over 48 hours until it was down to 1.009 on 4/21/04.
At first my Blackcap seemed ok, but then his fins started to fray, and scales started to stick out. He was lethargic and looked as though he was going to die. I added MelaFix (1 tsp. daily for 3 days) to the tank and it seemed to help for a little. Then it started again, this time I let the SG raise to 1.010 and he recovered. I lowered the SG again after a few days and it started again, as soon as the SG gets to 1.009, his scales stick out in patches, his fins fray, and he just kind of floats around. I also just noticed that he seems to be having trouble seeing, used to be when I fed him he would quickly dart and grab the flakes. Now its hit or miss if he gets them, and it takes longer for him to see where they are.
I've had him for about 2 months now; he first had Flukes, now ich. The other fish are fine and show no signs of illness. I use a Refractometer to check SG. I don't know what to do for/with him anymore. I tried to get a couple pics, the first one shows the discoloration (worse on one side), and dark patches on body, the second is the frayed fins. Any ideas?

jess74

I forgot to mention that right now I have the SG at 1.011 until I figure out what's going on with the blackcap. I know this will delay the process, but I didn't know what else to do.
On the picture where I have a spot circled on its side, whenever the SG is at 1.009, that spot becomes dark almost black and it almost appears as thought the fish is starting to disintegrate. :confused:

jess74

Terry B,
Must be Bacteria because I do check the pH (and have added a pH buffer), although I didn't know about checking the Alk. I will start doing this also. Thanks for the help! :yes:

jess74

No they don't aren't bloody, they just kind of stick out. When the SG gets to 1.009, he really just looks like he is wasting away. The last time I tried to lower it, he got this patch that looked like when you have sunburn and the layer of skin peels off, only it was like he was loosing a layer of scales in that area. That is when I raised the SG to 1.011 because I really thought he wasn't going to make it.
Since the scales aren't bloody, should I go with one of the other products?
Thanks

jess74

Thanks Terry B, I would think my Refractometer is accurate. Its the same kind they sell on SWF and I make sure its calibrated. So you would try the antibiotic first and then back to 1.009 and if he reacts in the same manner then raise SG and use copper?
I'm almost afraid to try lowering back down to 1.009, as the last time was the worst one yet. But I know copper isn't the best either.
Thanks so much for the help!