Blackedge Moray...

grouperhead

I'm looking to replace my recently departed sfe in my 75g. Only fish in there right now are a gold stripe soap (5") and a humu of about the same size. They have a nice blackedge moray at the lfs, probably 24", and FAT. It is a really gorgeous eel. From the teeth, it seems to be a piscivorous species. Any of y'all ever kept one? How was he with tankmates? Any other info/tips/experiences? Thanks. Bo

polarpooch

24" inch blackedge?!! Holy eels! I've never seen one THAT big.
I'd pass. That's a pretty big eel, and those aren't big enough to discourage the eel, especially if the LFS feeds live food to it.
Blackedges are easy to find, if you wait you might be able to find a smaller one (say half that size) and not risk your fish .
My 14" blackedge had no trouble with my 4" lunar. He did, however, completely ignore my Sohol and Klunzinger. It was my tesselata that proved so devastating to my fish by swallowing my 8" Klunzinger in under 60 seconds.
My Moray rule: keep with fish at your own risk!

grouperhead

Yeah, that's what I figured. He is eating frozen table shrimp at the lfs. He's really gorgeous. In his own tank, for a reason I guess. I need an eel. My tank isn't the same without one....Bo

stacyt

Have you looked at the ghost ribbon eel? The thing that I like about mine is he's out all the time, unlike my SFE. He's usually the thing most people like the best out of all my tanks. They stay fairly small, around 36" I beleive.

sting_ray29

I saw like a 2 foot snowflake at an lfs in illinois... It was with a bunch of community fish.. He said it wouldn't eat them if he was fed enough...

polarpooch

The ghost ribbons are very pugnacious eels--bordering on obnoxious. Though one would be fine with your humu now, maybe when that humu was another 2" bigger, you'd have cause to worry! I'd wait and see if you find a smaller blackedge. Blackedge's are really nice, easy eels to keep. They're not too agressive, and don't get super-huge. Other eels to consider that won't set you back a ton if you don't want the Blackedge or Snowflake are the Chainlink or Zebra. Both great eels!

moraymike

Polarpooch:
Is this from the movie, Office Space?

watcher

ribbon eels are to difficult to keep usually succoming to starvation.
I'd wait and get yourself the blackedge or the blenny

polarpooch

Moray Mike:
Yes. I named my Blackedge "Milton", too.
Watcher:
Just to clarify, while ribbon eels are difficult to keep, because they often refuse to take food, Ghost Ribbons are hardy and easy to keep. Ghost ribbons look like thin, long white morays with little specs on their faces. They don't have the long fans on their nostrils, either. They are not the same eel as the blue/black/green/yellow ribbon eels.

jumpfrog

Bo, I saw that black edge at Gordon's Saturday. Beautiful eel but his size scared me off. But I feel in love with something at Aquarium Design in Bham. But that's another post.

jumpfrog

Bo, Yes I picked up that little zebra and an "unkown" moray. Some folks here think it may be a green. Ugh!
Still researching.