bleached anemone RX

A

autopilot

Originally posted by annanymous
thanks for pointing out this thread. i was just curous how do you make an anemone eat. mine hasnt eaten in like 2 weeks. however he ate a few of my crabs and a slug that ihad in the tank. i try giving him mysis and frozen cuisinecubes but he just holds it and lets it go after a while. i use my hand to feed him. cant figure how to use a turkey baster to feed pieces of meat. last question, do i need to let the mysis stay out for a while and warm up, or can i just separate one and give the anemone right away?
thanks all.

My BTA didn't eat the first week or so I got it, then it dispeared in the rock work for 2 weeks. Finally after I thought it was dead it came back and eats a couple pieces of Krill every 2 or 3 days. It been fine the past 2 weeks, I thought it was dead the first 3 weeks I had it.

T

thomas712

Originally posted by annanymous
i try giving him mysis and frozen cuisinecubes but he just holds it and lets it go after a while.
thanks all.

Ummm... Your not trying to give your anemone a frozen cube right? You are thawing it first.....right? :nervous:

annanymous

of course not. lol. well anyway i tried to feed him a whole krill [not a big one] he held for few hours then let it go, now its in the back of my rockwork, decaying, and i cant even reach it to get rid of it. how can i increase his appetite. maybe i should try silversides, where can i getr them???

annanymous

A SHORT...
do you by any chance have an updated pic of your anemone. or maybe anyone has a pic of a pink tip haitian that is not bleached.

a short

My bleached anemone is doing much better and actually getting quite a bit of color peeking back into its tips. I have a friend over with a good digi cam and i'll try to shoot it when my little girl wakes up. I couldn't help myself and bought a pink tip haitian a few days ago that is almost green looking. A green one maby? I'll post it also. There is a great thread with some clowns hosting a pink tip I'll look for.

edwar050

A short, you have a 29 gallon right? I have a 20 long and bought a four foot T-8 fixture at lowes for 15 dollars and then supplied coralife coral bulbs and then 50/50 accent/light. It works well bc I have a sabae and it also lets extra light into my 10 gallon.

a short

Hiddenicon... I hate to report that my bleached bubble tip did not make it. He was actually getting quite "dirty" looking with lots of brown tips (not sparkally white antmore!) and ate like a little pig, BUT, doomed to a ill met fate with a power head accident.
If you notice in my pic. he was pretty close to the power head I have powering a fluidized bed and one day it had him for lunch. Every time I would move it to the other side of the tank he would go right back to the danger zone. I wish anemones would just stay put where you think they should be but no, they have to find out the hard way, kinda like my kids! I am trying my luck with a very brownish/green pink tip haitian now. His color is great but he just will not eat the silversides I keep ofering.

a short

Edwar050,
I actually have a 20 high (which I have been advised is too small for anemonies). It's not just in the type of bulb you have but the watts you are crankin. I have 96 watts coralife fixture 50/50 in 20 gal and have been told its hardly enouph. If what you have done will work I would love to add more to my tank. Did yoy put a reflector behind the bulbs and do you have excessive heat problems? Forsome reason I thought I read that you coulden't do that and it be the same as a "aquarium" fixture:notsure: Let me know what you found out, I would love to add more light with minimal $$$$$$$$$$.

edwar050

Yeah mines working great, I put a reflector I found at home depot up and it works great. Like I said the Ballast was only 15$ and Its a all metal american t-8 light ballast you can find at lowes. The best part is that it hangs above the aquaium-I used 50pound tess fishing line- the lighting is great for the cheapest price possible- I wouldn't recomend on a 55 gallon but everything I do I do as cheap as possible-broke=college :yes: Check it out you can get four foot t-8 bulbs anywhere and reflectors aren't hard to find- I really adds alot of light becasue the fixture is almost twice the size of my 30 long and its enought for a 10gallon hospital I have running as well- Better than spending 300$ for a VHO system for a 30 or 29 gallon- I only spent 250 on both my tanks with fish-2clowns, sabae, red mandarin dragonet, and a blue damsel :)
although the damn clowns died :( and the sabaes doing well-for now

edwar050

I cant see why you can't do it, I did, i checked prices as wel,l a hanging t8 fixture- new, for an aquarium will cost you 85$ min, Low's 15$ but you still have to buy two 10$ bulbs-its sad how much they mark it up for the same thing-