bleached anenome...

mrextc

I just purchased a LTA a week ago and i think it's bleached. i thought it was a light blue color when i purchased it, but its actually pretty white without the actinic lights on...it seems to be doing pretty well...it's already burried its foot int he sand...its wide open, mouth is closed and i'm feeding it small pieces of raw shrimp every other day...from what i'm reading my lighting isn't strong enough with 54 watts in my 12 gallon nano...but the anenome seems pretty happy over all. Should i be worried at all about this...The LFS i got it from isn't very good, so i won't be going back to there again...the had the anenome under actinic only florescent lighting...

perfectdark

Frequent feedings of small pieces will extend the life of the animal but unfortunatly it wont live long under its current conditions. Losing its Zooxanthellae will deplete all the animals energy that it needs to thrive. The LTA Is considered one of the more difficult species to keep and metal halide lighting is a must. Sorry....

nietzsche

Originally Posted by mrextc
how long do you think a bleached anenome will live? could it ever get it's zoanthelle back?
i would seriously take it back. they do require a lot of light like metal halide. it needs strong lighting for the zooaxenthella to live. not only that, these guys get really big
i have one in my 28 but with 250w of metal halide. ill be upgrading to a larger tank soon

perfectdark

Originally Posted by mrextc
how long do you think a bleached anenome will live? could it ever get it's zoanthelle back?

Not long... and under your lights no it wont get its color back.. the photosythetic properties of the lights is what feeds them their zooxanthellea.

gypsana

I have to disagree about the lighting. I have a LTA with 156 watt T5 on a 45 gal talland mine is doing great. It is actually out growing my tank. I feed mine about once a week a couple of silversides.Mine is not bleached out at all. I really have had great luck with T5's and my Euphyllia as well.

mrextc

thanks...anyone know what anenome poop looks like? it just made a big brownish redish thing this morning. I just fed it last night, so i don't know if its poop or if its the zooanthelle stuff.

perfectdark

If its a solid mass yes it has excreted... if its brownish smoke looking then thats zooxanthellea. If it as excreted your gonna want to take it out asap.

perfectdark

Originally Posted by gypsana
I have to disagree about the lighting. I have a LTA with 156 watt T5 on a 45 gal talland mine is doing great. It is actually out growing my tank. I feed mine about once a week a couple of silversides.Mine is not bleached out at all. I really have had great luck with T5's and my Euphyllia as well.

Suplementation with food will extend the time it will take to bleach.. however how long has your anenome been in your tank? It can take a long time for an anenome to show signs of poor lighting.

mrextc

it was a solid brown bubble mass thing...i'll have to find it in my rockwork...it was gone when i came back to it...he seems okay for now, eatting everyday to every other day, fully open and mouth is pretty much closed. i keep a close eye on him and see what happens. thanks for all the information regarding this...

gypsana

Originally Posted by PerfectDark
Suplementation with food will extend the time it will take to bleach.. however how long has your anenome been in your tank? It can take a long time for an anenome to show signs of poor lighting.
It has been in my tank for about 10 months and is doing great. I do not feel that T5's are poor lighting. There are a lot of threads on these boards that discuss this and many others are having great luck with them as well.

perfectdark

Originally Posted by gypsana
It has been in my tank for about 10 months and is doing great. I do not feel that T5's are poor lighting. There are a lot of threads on these boards that discuss this and many others are having great luck with them as well.
I dont entirly disagree.. I have my reservations about anenomes in general and their so called... prehistoric past... The mere fact that its believed they live in the wild for over 100 years has me skeptical to say the least. (there is just not enough evidence for me to buy that theory just yet)
Having said that, having luck with one IMO is being able to keep it alive for more than 2 years. So when I hear that, I am interested in knowing what your definition of luck is regarding time frame. 10 months although a decent amount of time IMO isnt long enought to asses that your anenome will thrive under its current conditions. Like I said above its been proven that supplemental feeding increases its success rate under inadequate lighting but no species has been kept longer thant 2 years under sub par lighting, with or without suplemental feedings.