bleaching dead coral?

corky

Is it o.k. to bleach dead coral as long as I stick the coral in boiling water afterwards? If not, does anyone have suggestions on cleaning algae off white coral? Thank You!

jimm

I used to soak my decorative corals in a bucket of bleach for a few hours to clean them.
Once done with the bleaching, you should rinse the coral off with a hose until all the bleach smell is gone. You do not need to boil the coral in water.
The other way to get rid of algae growth on decorative coral is to set the coral in the sun for a day or so and then rinse the dried algae off with a powerful hose. The coral does not get quite as clean, but its a little safer.
However, I never had any trouble with the beaching.
You may want to thing about leaving the corals in the tank without bleaching and going for a more "natural" look. The coral will become more biological media for your filter.

kb

If you do bleach your coral you can buy a product that removes the chlorine just like it removes it out of tap water! What I have found that works well is to just pull out the coral rinse it off and put it back in the tank-this seems to get a lot of the brown look off of it and after a few days it seems to magically turn white in the tank.

M

mitch24

In my opinion, the brownish look gives the coral a more aged, and natural look. I prefer mine that way...
Be careful if you use bleach! I little bit can wreak havic on your tank :)
Good luck!

salt one

i had a tank full of that coral , i loved the way it looked till it would get brown and look bad, i did use bleach, i put it in a bucket and let it sit then would just wash it and put it right back in and never had any trouble, but for a while there after i bleached it i would take the coral out when i started to look bad and ran hot water over it and i took it away, i did this before the alge got really bad and it worked, it will save from have to use so much bleach

clownfish

Why not just get a powerglo or coralife trichromatic tube and some mushroom corals? They're so much better than fake or dead corals. I will start with shrooms when I set up and cycle a 55.

I was told that if you use full strength bleach, then make sure to soak in water for double the time bleached, and if half bleach/water, then soak in water for same amount of time.
~~Megan

mr . salty

I would never use full strength bleatch on anything I put in my tanks. If I use it at all,it's about a capfull per five gallons water. STEVE

veskas

Just leave it in the sun for 4-5 days. They come out nice & white (or pink, or blue). Don't take a chance on bleach!

kris

I also have used bleach (about 1/2 cup in 5g) I never had any problems with it. The majority of experts, however, advise not to.
The bleach idea actually came from a lfs guy.