Bleaching

sleeper

Hey all-
So I went away on a business trip adn my roommate wasn't entirely clear on what to do... and I also take blame, since I didn't do a water change before I left, but, my awesome pink colt frag, now like twice it's original size in only like 2 months, has bleached.
Also, the zoas I have look a little sluggish, maybe have algae or something on them, and one or two polyps look really withered. I know the water quality os poor. So exact measurements, at this point, really don't matter. I'll change the water and go from there. However, any short term suggestions on a little triage?

murph145

all you can do is some water changes maybe 15-20% a day or every other day until levels come back to normal range... other than that nothing much just keep up on the maintenance corals will let u know when uve been lagging lol and by then it can be too late...
but just do you water changes and things should start to look better in the next few days

maurice

Yep,i would do a 15% water change wait a day and test,if it is still off do another 15% water change then test,by then you should show some change.IMO water changes are the most important maintenence you should keep on regular basis.Keep us posted on how everything works out!

sleeper

Thanks guys.
It's really hard cause I don't have an RO unit... I have to rely on my neighbor, a more experienced reefer, for distilled water.
I think the next $250-300 I have is going to an RO unit...
This really stinks.
But thanks for all your help. And Murph, I really love that lion fish.

maurice

You can get a good ro/di unit for 150-200 bucks.Don't worry about getting one that makes 100gpd get a small one that makes what you need.

murph145

thanks sleeper!
yeah a RO/DI unit is very beneficial never do water changes using tap water.... if u have to just go to your local grocery store and buy some distilled or there purified water there which should be fine...