Blennie Question

kablamo

I just got a lawnmower blennie today, and he's been hiding ever since I got him, I didn't drip acclimate him, because the LFS is about 10 minutes from my house, But i think i did a decent job at his acclimation, Anyway, He found a spot behind the LR on the back of my tank and hasn't moved for about 3 hours. Is this normal? My Bicolor psuedochromis seems to like him allright, but maybe he doesn't see Butch, my blennie, because he looks like the rest of the rocks!

T

tizzo

Hey Kablamo!! I don't think that I am understanding your logic. You said you didn't drip acclimate him because the LFS is only 10 minutes away?? The slow acclimation is so important because of factors such as PH, salinity, and temp. If your salinity is different from the LFS's, you can cause him to go into "osmosis shock". PH differences can cause shock period. Even if you lived next door to the LFS I would recommend drip acclimation!:D

kablamo

really? I read on the drip acclimation instructions on this website that fish that are shipped to you deserve a little more time and care during acclimation because they have been in a bag for two days, but I suppose that makes sense... My levels are all pretty much the same as LFS though, so hopefully he didn't go into shock, how can you tell if the lil guy is in shock or uncomfortable, or in any bad state?

zap800

kl8n is trying to boost his post count thats all. dont kill yourself on trying to figure it out. he has bumped alot of threads just to do it. he should try to add to the bb not just be a lurker and bump.

kl8n

zap800 is a detective.. i just wanted to add an avatar...no conspiracy here. Havn't picked an avatar yet though to answer the next obvious question.

johnny5

If he was in shock he would probably be gasping for oxygen/breathing really hard. LMB's are very shy too, mine took about 2 weeks before he would start comming out to graze algae during the day. And if I walk up to the tank too fast he still retreats to the hole he sleeps in, very very timid fish. Im sure as time goes by he will get more and more used to me.. Ive had him for a little over 1 month.
Drip acclimation keeps your fish happy, the longer you drip the better. My lfs is about 5 blocks away and I still dripped everything for several hours (I dripped my tomato pair for about 4-5 hours). I have not had any losses yet.
Patience is crutial.

bigsteve

Another vote for dripping.... my lfs is less than 5 minutes from me, and I drip everything now after seeing the difference between the ol' float & release and dripping.
It really does help. :)

migston

You really should dripp acclimate every fish you introduce. I even use my refractometer to make sure the water is the same SG as my display. Sometimes that takes longer than the prescribed 2 hour period even.
That said, my Blenny did the same thing despite proper acclimation. He sort of hung out on top of the powerhead and looked out the glass. I was pretty worried about him but he was just stressed out and has since adapted well. He's still skittish but he's getting used to me more and more.

kablamo

Yeah, I he was that way for a while, but if i sit in the chair in front of the tank absolutely still, after about five minutes, he will go CRAZY and bite the heck out of all of my live rock and debris goes flying! I haven't actually seen him eat the algae bush yet, but my wife is Japanese and she knows where to get some great cheap Nori because the stuff marketed for fish is the same stuff as what you get at the place she goes, but it is for wrapping sushi and it's in big sheets, and is a lot cheaper!
If I am wrong again, please tell me (if it is different!)

migston

I use the sushi wrapper as well but my blenny won't touch it. I've resorted to soaking it in garlic to tell him it's food but still no go.
Luckily he eats formula one and two so he's not starving.

saltymist

When we got out LMB, my partner looked at it in the bag and said, "You'll never see it again after you put it in the tank". That was correct for 3 days. Now all I have to do is walk up to the tank and the LMB will come right out and sit at the glass and stare at me. But for 3 days I barely saw it, it just stood really still somewhere in the rockwork at the back of our tank. Now it cruises around all the time going from rock to rock trying to scavenge a meal.
Mine will not eat the seaweed on a clip yet either. The seaweed eventually just disintigrates and disppears in the tank, but I do leave one glass wall of the tank untouched, because it seems the algae grows faster on my glass then it does on the liverock. I have also used algae waefers in the tank, and I dont know if a crab got that, or if he did, but it soon disappeared from sight.
LMB's are full of personality once they are accustomed to their new surroundings.
As far as drip, or no drip. I dont drip fish from my LFS, I just open the bag up, roll down the top edge so that it floats in my tank, and about every 4 to 7 minutes I pour in 1/3 cup of tank water, after about 45 minutes to an hour, I pour the bag through a net into a bucket and put the netted fish into the tank. Always worked for me without problems or incident.