bloated yellow tang

crabbie

I have a yellow tang thats so bloated it looks like it may pop.It has been in the tank for 7 months.nitrates were very high one month ago when the tang bloated.I did a few large water changes over two weeks (1/2 vol. each) nitrates are now low Tank info. 150 gal . Aquaclear 500,Penguin bio-wheel 330 and a bio Matrix 300. 1-2 inch crushed coral base 15 lbs LR Residents: 1 Black dog face puffer,2Damsals,1 lion,2 Mandarin gobys 2 Large hermits , 10 tiny hermits and of coarse one very bloated yellow tang. Thats not eating. PLEASE HELP !!! Thank you Crabbie:confused:

beth

Administrator
Staff member
What are you feeding it? When did it stop eating? Why were your nitrates so high? What are your current water readings?

crabbie

it stopped eating about 2 weeks ago. It was eating seaweed selects green marine alae(like crazy) Omega One (veggie flakes),frozen brine shrimp,and Omega one(marine flakes) Not all at one time.of coarse.Had LFS test water today,all was good but nitrates were very high again.I think nitrates started to get out of control when the lion was put in. It eats almost all the food put in the tank (flakes,brine,freeze dried krill) but not the algae.lion has been in tank for 4 months and has grown at least 5 times larger.He must create lots of waste.

crabbie

LFS guy said that I should add more crushed coral to my base would help with nitrate reduction thanks Crabbie

beth

Administrator
Staff member
The crushed coral is likely what is causing the nitrate problem, and I know that tangs particularly don't do well in tanks with higher nitrates.
Describe your system, filtration, etc.