Blonde Naso Tang died

devil dog

my Blonde Naso Tang died and i don't know why...
one day looked good the next he looked like he didn't eat for weeks. what happend?

scsinet

How old is the tank, how large is the tank, and what are your water parameters?
How long did you have him?

devil dog

Originally Posted by SCSInet
http:///forum/post/2587121
How old is the tank, how large is the tank, and what are your water parameters?
How long did you have him?
the tank has been set up for 6 months it is a 210 and all of my water parameters are good and all of my other tangs are just fine. he was in there for about 3 months.

A

allenk

What did you feed the Naso? My understanding is they need a lot of algae. I bought a naso to get rid of a ton of macro-algae in my tank. I never thought it would eat it all, but it managed to eat the rocks clean. Now I feed it live macroalgae that I culture in a separate tank. Mine will also eat some meaty foods. I haven't coaxed it into eating algae sheets yet and it doesn't look promising.
If it doesn't have a steady diet of macroalgae, could it be it wasn't getting the nutrients it needed and simply suffered from malnutrition?

drex

i have heard alot of bad luck with nasos, i have mine eating everything and he has been great for quite some time..however, he is up for grabs so if you are looking for a large healthy regular naso, let me know..sorry for your loss i know it sucks. mine eats anything from flake food to mysis to krill to nori...anything he can get:) andhe picks algae all day long. they are great fish.

devil dog

Originally Posted by drex
http:///forum/post/2595796
i have heard alot of bad luck with nasos, i have mine eating everything and he has been great for quite some time..however, he is up for grabs so if you are looking for a large healthy regular naso, let me know..sorry for your loss i know it sucks. mine eats anything from flake food to mysis to krill to nori...anything he can get:) andhe picks algae all day long. they are great fish.
How big is he? and why are you saleing him?
can you email me some pic's
mkohmste@scj.com

candycane

Naso's are EXTREMELY aggressive towards other tangs. This you might already know. If they are fed enough, this drops their anger. I don't know if you have a lid on your tank, but would guess that you do. If you don't, then I would just blame it on a fight or stress from something else. Nasos', amongst some other tangs, like to jump (kind of like blennies). If you have a lid on your tank, it is possible that it may have tried to jump and smashed it's head against the lid. They usually do this at night. If you don't have a lid, maybe it was just stressed.

drex

my naso is the nicest fish i have ever had..calm as can be, in with a blue tang and i have never seen aggression towards him, or any of my others. he likes to go where i have most of my current and swim kindave off on his own..i know they are notorious for jumping, my tank is open top and ive been lucky. they are great fish.from the sounds of it he may be going with devil dog shortly here. he needs a 210 gallon

devil dog

Originally Posted by drex
http:///forum/post/2597104
my naso is the nicest fish i have ever had..calm as can be, in with a blue tang and i have never seen aggression towards him, or any of my others. he likes to go where i have most of my current and swim kindave off on his own..i know they are notorious for jumping, my tank is open top and ive been lucky. they are great fish.from the sounds of it he may be going with devil dog shortly here. he needs a 210 gallon

Yeah I never had an problem with him and any of my tangs. And there is always something to eat I put a sheet in every day...
Yellow 4"
Sailfin 4"
Purple 4"
Vlamingi 2"
And the one that died was about 7"

azfishgal

Sorry for your loss. He was a nice looking fish. I would love to have a Naso but I'm afraid my 125 is just not big enough.

candycane

If you add all of them at the same time, this curbs aggression. If they are all relatively the same size, this will most likely do the same thing. If your Naso or any other tang is constantly grazing and being fed, then it's anger should be next to nothing or nothing.
The main problem is them gathering speed and rocking their noggin against a side, a rock or the top of a tank and dying from it. Just one day the tang turns up dead. I wish I knew defining characteristics for "head injury" and fish - but I don't; which I don't even know if there are any. Tank space plays a large factor too. One thing I, MYSELF, found that has helped with tanks with lids, is those little moon lights, just the ones that are seperate that can be plugged into a wall. They sometimes work almost like caution or landing strip lights (then sometimes a fish may try to eat them, LOL).