Blood Red Shrimp

M

mmdoug

i came home after 2 days vacation to find my blood red shrimp,who is 3 mos old in the tank,missing both claws and all but 2 feet.he is hanging around on the bottom of the rocks.i have never seen this before.will he survive or is he a gonner.im not sure he can even eat.:(

wet bar

I had a similar experience with a Blood Shrimp.
It seems as though mine went through a "bad molt." I was told by a LFS owner that I really trust for advice, when they change their shells, or molt, they don't take precautions like some other inverts (finding a cave, hiding in rock crevice, etc.).
Unfortunately, if there is something aggresive around (in my case a really mean CBS), then they can either hurry the molt and lose body parts, or just have them nipped off by the predator while soft from the molt (occasionly happens with blue-leg hermits).
Try and make sure that you get food to the Blood Shrimp, as it may not be able to grab anything floating by without all of it's legs and claws. If possible, you might want to put it in a separate tank (maybe a QT), while it tries to recover and molt again.
HTH

jonthefb

yes when he does molt again the missing parts should reappear as long as the stressor is no longer present in the tank! just try and make sure he gets some food!
good luck
jon