Blood Shrimp Question

pufferlover

Anyone out there have Blood Shrimp with Pacific Cleaner Shrimp and do they get along. I have 2 large Pacific's in my reef and found a great looking large Blood at my lfs (put it on holf for noe they just got 2 today). I have only had one other Blood (in a different tank) and my spotted hawk ate it the 2nd day (my fault should have known better- do now). My friendly lfs owner says they will get along but I wonder since at one time I had 3 Pacifics and 1 Peppermint and now all that is left is 2 of the 3 Pacifics. Any personal experiences appreciated before I buy the thing (it is not a cheap one but a real knockout).

corky

I used to have a pair of cleaners with one fire for about 6 months. I never saw any aggresion towards each other. The couple of cleaners were eventually removed to a smaller tank for mating purposes. But, your right, they do hit the wallet pretty hard and most of the time the fire shrimp stays hidden.

pufferlover

corky; thanks for your imput. I probably will go ahead and get it as these 2 he has are the biggest best colored bloods I have ever seen. What the heck I am out of room for fish in my tanks so I am playing with new things for the reef.

pufferlover

Why is it the most beautiful things in a tank are usually the ones that you don't see much of? This has to be one of the great mystery's of life. I was actually surprised to see both of the bloods I refered to standing in the middle of the semi reef the lfs put them in showing off. I know the minute I get one or both and put them in my reef tank I'll never see them again. Heck but thats half the fun of the hobby to know you have something like that even if you can't show it off.

pufferlover

Well I picked up one of the Bloods today (the biggest of the 3 he had) and placed it in my reef tank. The 2 Pacifics did not seem to happy but now a few hours later the 3 are now aligned 1 on the left side 1 in the middle and 1 on the right side. Also, picked up a Valentini Puffer for one of my 20's that has a baby Gold Stripe Clown and the baby Snowflake.

goofieones

I beleive you should not have a problem, for I ran into the same situation a couple of months ago, and I had two cleans and lfs said the blood would be okay, so I added him. He was such a good color, and the other shrimp didn't even notice him, probably because he was hiding all the time. But unfortuntley, I got a stupid arrow crab off the advice of a lfs and an online resouce that said they would be peaceful, and that was not the case and a month later all cleans and blood were missing. So until the arrow kicks the bucket I can't get another shrimp, unless I make the arrow a sump resident. But I hope you enjoy your new shrimp. And I think you will find that inverts are quite amazing creatures to watch.

pufferlover

Yes Shrimps tickle me pink. I love to watch them dance around at feeding time trying to catch any food coming their way. Then they go to a rock and eat it. Mine love worms, brine, and frozen Formula 1 and 2 pieces they catch. The Blood is doing fine today altho it has staked out a area in the back corner of the tank (why always the back never the front- another great mystery of this hobby). Considering the Blood was 3 times the cost of the Pacifics I think they get you knowing the coloration makes it hard not to get one when they are available. I now have more critters then fish in the reef and yet I enjoy it the most of all my tanks from the point of interesting to watch what is happening in it.

corky

one type of food my blood would go crazy over is the spirulina 20 sinking pellets. Also pretty funny seeing my perc. clowns eating these pellets as they looked like cigars sticking out of their mouths.

pufferlover

As of tonight the Blood is out and eating live brine that I fed the fish, so life is good. The other 2 Pacifics seem to have adapted to the new shrimp but that is why I made sure it was a bit bigger then they. They are all still in their respective areas left, middle, right of tank.