Blue Angel #6 Crash

triga22

Blue Angels the Navy flight demonstation team was in South Carolina this weekend. The were circling around to land when one disappeard. It cliped the top of pine trees and the body kept going another 500 feet and then exploaded. We are not sure if the pilot died but there is 1 known death. I love watching these guys and they are very good at flying. Im sure that it was a malfunction. I hope the pilot is alive.

seasalt101

man that sucks they are a great flying team them and the thunderbirds entertain thousands every year i hope the pilot is ok too, and sympathies to the family of the victim tobin

triga22

Yes. The thunderbirds are great too. Ive seen them both a couple times. I was going to see the Angels this upcoming week but I think that the season is canceld. The Blue angels were bringing 120,000 people there.

anubisxero

According to CNN the victim was the pilot. It's sad. I hate when these crashes take place, especially with such well known teams. I saw a video of you know those navy jumpers that parachute down. This kid got his legs severed when two of them crashed into each other. The one who lost his legs lived but the one who hit him like exploded on impact. It was awful. :(

triga22

Yes. They say that it is the pilot but are still unsure. It most likely is. There isnt man crashes. This one and then one with the Thunderbirds a while ago. Its the plane's fault not the pilot. The pilots know what they are doing and when the Thunderbird crashed it was the plane malfunctioning. I think that the blue angels are going to switch to a different plane. The one they are using now is from the 70-80 and isnt being made.

anubisxero

Originally Posted by TriGa22
Yes. They say that it is the pilot but are still unsure. It most likely is. There isnt man crashes. This one and then one with the Thunderbirds a while ago. Its the plane's fault not the pilot. The pilots know what they are doing and when the Thunderbird crashed it was the plane malfunctioning. I think that the blue angels are going to switch to a different plane. The one they are using now is from the 70-80 and isnt being made.
i'm really surprised they're not using the superhornet.

mike22cha

I've seen the thunderbirds at Tinker Air Force Base once. They were awesome. It is so sad about the pilot.

triga22

For those that dont know who they are.
This is how close they get!

This is one of the 30 maneuvers the Angels' do.

jovial

This is sad but I doubt this accident was due to a maintenance mistake because a Post Maintenance Check Flight/ FCC is always conducted for any safety of flight item that gets replaced, i.e flight control or engine components prior to releasing the jet safe for flight. Catastrophic failures do occur but are extrememly rare. The Blues fly the oldest jets in service, lot 8s and 9s. The fleet will always get the latest planes due to software and weapons system needs. The Blues dont require radar or weapons systems so the fly an older slicked down version which is considerably lighter. Often when they are finished with them the airframes are so tweaked the jet ends up on a pedistal in front of a base somewhere. No ejection indicates that there was no time for reaction. They have a very good maintenance safety record. Very sad indeed.

sharkboy13

about 10 yrs ago our local airport held an air show, this one guy was going to parachute down inbetween two planes, as he was parachuting he got decapitated (sp?) about 8 or 10 mos ago when they wer doing roof work at shaws groccery store they found his skull, lodged in an air vent, one quote was from a senior employee who said "i think this could possibly explain y the employee loungue smelled bad for 6mos after the incident" as well as a sea plane crashing on the highway the show was its first and last

ice4ice

It is sad to hear when the Blue Angels loses one of their own pilots. They are a real treat to watch. Unfortunately their season is grounded for a year. Alot of people don't realize that these pilots are flying with extremely precise manuevers with ZERO room for errors. I am curious in what the cause of the crash investigation comes to conclusion. Methinks the pilot came in too low and the jet went too much out of control. May God bless the pilot and civilians lost in the crash. Really sad news ...

babyb

when i lived in cal. my father was in the marines and the blue angels came to town, me and my brother got to eat dinner with them, take a tour of there planes, and in one of there shows my father jumped out of one of the planes, it makes me very sad to hear that one of them died

gixxer54

i live in western mass and the thunderbirds come here every year.. when i was a kid i remember some really cool manuevers, but when i saw them a couple years ago they just did basic safe things.. then i found out that it was because they had a crash from doing some of the more dangerous moves..... kinda crazy if you see videos of crashes right over the crowd... would not want to be under that.

T

tizzo

It is sad...
It's not like some inexperienced new pilot got in a bind... This is the best of the best. I am curious as to what could have happened..
Excellent measures to ensure the planes safety and excellent pilots...
I'm curious.

oscardeuce

The Navy released findings that the pilot lost consciousness from g forces.
The Blues do not wear G suits due the the cockpit configuration.
God Speed pilot!

triga22

Yes, I heard that a couple of weeks ago. Its sad, I love the Blue Angels. I would never of thought that it was pilot error due to the fact that it was at the end where G forces dont reach above 3-4