blue angel and fungus

sign guy

I just bought a blue angel for my 125 a cupple weeks ago from my friends lfs. great fish and very healthy. I ws between the blue anlgel and a flam angel knowing if I got the blue I would have to put him in my 300 once he got bigger I went with the blue because the flam had ich and the blue had what my lfs said was a "fungus" on his fin. my friend said that a fresh water dip and picking the fungus off and the blue would be fine. two weeks later the fungus is back. here is my questian, I dont have a quarintine tank so should I go for another fresh water dip or is there another option. also what is the chance of this spreading to my yellow tang, blue jaw trigger or my live rock?

nicetry

Fungal infections are fairly uncommon in saltwater systems so my guess is it isn't what you're dealing with. Describe what you're seeing. Given that it's an angel and the "fungus" is on the fin, you may be dealing with lymphocystis, a viral infection thatr is pretty common in newly imported angels, tangs and butterflies. It will clear up on it's own with good diet, water and low stress. Don't pick it off and stop with the fresh water dips, which are likely contributing to the stress. Lymph will look like a white, clumpy cauliflower growth on the fins. It can be small or quite pronounced. Any way to get a picture?

sign guy

thats what it sounds like. ill get a pic later tonight I have great water and feed san frasico bay brand food. after I get the pic and its decided that it is lymphocystis what are some mesures I can take to lower the stress?

sepulatian

Beth has pictures of lymphocystis in her Diseased Fish FAQ. Take a look at those to see if that is what your fish has. If that is the case then you can add some vitamines to her diet. Other than that your tank conditions and the diet that you feed are all that is needed.

sign guy

well Ive tried to get a pic of him but my cammara is very slow to take a pic. I looked at beths pics and yes it deff looks like he has lymphocystis.
why would this reapere if my friend has already piced it off?
should I be worried that its getting worse
can the other fish catch this?

nicetry

Originally Posted by sign guy
http:///forum/post/2483257
well Ive tried to get a pic of him but my cammara is very slow to take a pic. I looked at beths pics and yes it deff looks like he has lymphocystis.
why would this reapere if my friend has already piced it off?
should I be worried that its getting worse
can the other fish catch this?
It's viral. Picking off the growth isn't getting rid of the virus so it may reappear until the fishes immune system kicks in to fight it off. It can sometimes get worse before it gets better but in most cases it should clear up within a few weeks or even less. It is rarely contagious

sign guy

thanks yall I havent lost a fish in this tank, Im starting to get a big head and didnt want to loose him