Blue Angel and Queen Angel?

rad

So today I read on WIKI (not the most reliable source of info) that a blue angel and a queen angel would sometimes mate. This leads me to believe that they may get along in a home aquarium. I have a 100g and was thinking about giving that a whirl. I realize that a 150 would probably be better suited but I was just wondering if the possibility for success would be there. By success I dont mean mate, I just mean that they would coexist and not kill one another. thoughts?

kjr_trig

IMO your tank is not big enough for 1 of those fish, let alone 2. These are amonst the largest of the large angels and need a big tank. The two together would have big aggression issues in a 100 gallon....Sorry

ncognito

In a larger (much larger system) it would be fine. But your 100 gallon is not big enough for even one as each grow at least 18 inches and fight for territory. I suggest not puting either in your tank as they would easily outgrow it.

rad

thank you for your concern on my tank size but that was not really my question. my question, to clarify, is if anyone had ever had a blue angel and a queen angel together in a tank, as juveniles, and if they got along? I understand the tank size dillema completely but would really like to get some first hand experience from some people who have actually had those fish together in the same tank.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by rad
thank you for your concern on my tank size but that was not really my question. my question, to clarify, is if anyone had ever had a blue angel and a queen angel together in a tank, as juveniles, and if they got along? I understand the tank size dillema completely but would really like to get some first hand experience from some people who have actually had those fish together in the same tank.
Most angels do not get along at all, but I would like to know as well.

aquaknight

Probably for a couple months both as tiny juvi's, sure it could work. There's no sexual variations between male/female so it would be a straight guess. But the first one to hit any sort of maturity will likely kill the other one. As far as how long, probably a couple months??

sepulatian

So then why bother getting the two? As stated, they will not work together. Not directed at you Aquaknight. I have not heard of keeping two angels, besides dwarfs, in larger tanks (240+), but was curious of what others had to say on this.

aquaknight

Originally Posted by sepulatian
So then why bother getting the two? As stated, they will not work together. Not directed at you Aquaknight. I have not heard of keeping two angels, besides dwarfs, in larger tanks (240+), but was curious of what others had to say on this.
Yea, I understand what you mean, but Rad will just keep rewording his questions till he hears the answer he wants so that was my reply. I agree in that keeping a Blue and Queen angel in a 100gal would be a really bad decision.

rad

to be blunt, so I wont have to reword anything: Id never have to reword my questions if people would answer the questions I ask instead of elaborating on something I already know the answer to.
Ive seen a flame angel and a pygmy in an 80. a regal and a majestic in a 150. so let me just put it this way: lack of response will only put me on the side of trying rather than knowing that it will not work. tank size aside, you have no idea what I have or am going to have, tank or fish wise. I was just looking for some info, but clearly this thread was sidetracked by somewhat relevant albeit non-pertinent info. *noted*

kjr_trig

Originally Posted by rad
to be blunt, so I wont have to reword anything: Id never have to reword my questions if people would answer the questions I ask instead of elaborating on something I already know the answer to.
Ive seen a flame angel and a pygmy in an 80. a regal and a majestic in a 150. so let me just put it this way: lack of response will only put me on the side of trying rather than knowing that it will not work. tank size aside, you have no idea what I have or am going to have, tank or fish wise. I was just looking for some info, but clearly this thread was sidetracked by somewhat relevant albeit non-pertinent info. *noted*
Ok....Flame and Pygmy are dwarf angel, a full grown regal and majectic are medium sized angels, Blue and Queen are 2 of the largest angels. I recently emailed Bob Fenner (noted author) my proposed fish list for my 240 which included an Emperor and a French, he recommended against it because both are from the Pomacanthus family, and said he would always advise against 2 angels from the same family. Queen and Blue are both Holocanthus angels.

groupergenius

I'm sure to get flamed as well rad, I believe neither one of those would ever get to 18" in your tank. Actually I have NEVER seen either one 18" in the wild. Maybe 14-15" MAX. Trust me, I've seen a bunch of them.
There is a chance they might get along in a small enviroment. But it's a chance. Every fish is different. IMHO they look so similar why go for those two?
Myself, I'll stay all genicanthus. They don't eat my corals.

rad

Originally Posted by kjr_trig
I recently emailed Bob Fenner (noted author) my proposed fish list for my 240 which included an Emperor and a French, he recommended against it because both are from the Pomacanthus family, and said he would always advise against 2 angels from the same family. Queen and Blue are both Holocanthus angels.
thank you. thats exactly what I was looking for. I realize what size/kind of angels the other pairs were but I was just looking for some sort of reason as to why they couldnt be in the same tank and this is just it. you have learned me good. and I thanks you.
Originally Posted by GrouperGenius

I'm sure to get flamed as well rad, I believe neither one of those would ever get to 18" in your tank. Actually I have NEVER seen either one 18" in the wild. Maybe 14-15" MAX. Trust me, I've seen a bunch of them.
There is a chance they might get along in a small enviroment. But it's a chance. Every fish is different. IMHO they look so similar why go for those two?
Myself, I'll stay all genicanthus. They don't eat my corals.

I dont think I would ever put both of those fish in my same tank as it is right now. truth be told I just got a 1.5" blue angel last week but I really wanted a queen. I just went for the knock off because I got a hella deal ($30) on it and it was a super healthy specimen. I really like the way it looks as a jevenile but not as an adult, thats why I was wondering if/how/why a queen would not get along with it. I didnt even consider it untill I read that article on wiki, and since anyone can edit that page you know your getting the absolute best information possible.
but another truth is I do plan on upgrading to a much larger tank in a year or two. I have a couple specimen that get large and I will still want to house them in my own personal aquarium so it only seems logical to me.
side note: I also have a small flame angel in that tank and they get along great. BFFL.

but thanks again for the actual reasoning you two. it helped alot.

lesleybird

No way in the world you could keep the two together. They are both from the most agressive family of angels and both need to be the boss of a very large territory and would defend it to death. It is advised by the book that I have on angelfish that large angels not be mixed in a tank under about 180 gallons, and then only ones that are dissimilar and only after the size and temperment of each is taken into account. They say never mix two of the same species or two of similar ones. They don't even recommend putting a male and a female of the same species together unless the tank is really really hudge. I won't even buy a queen for my 180 gallon because it gets to be 18 inches long and my tank in only two feet wide. These fish should ideally have a tank of about 300 gallons or more when full grown. Lesley

rad

heres a pic of the new guy, he already comes to the front of the tank any time someone walks up.