Blue Angel Doesn't Like Snails

martymcfly

I was just wondering if anyone has a Blue Angel that likes to pick on snails. I just recently picked up some Margarita snails and my Angel likes to pick at them til they fall off the live rock/glass and end up upside down. He was a reall pain in *** the first day and I was constantly having to right the snails. Then the next morning I found one on its shell and it appeared to have been hollowed out. This was the only casualty thus far and the angel appears to be less interested but I am wondering if this is likely to continue or if he was just checking them out? Everything that I have read states that Blue Angels are invertebrate safe so I was wondering if anyone else had/has this problem?

aquaknight

He probably views the snails as either a threat to his food source, or enjoys 'cleaning' their shells.
Try sneaking a couple in some time late at night.
I wouldn't be surprised if the snails lives are short lived anyways. They're a temperate water snail, the water in our tropical aquariums is often too high for them.

ironeagle2006

Originally Posted by dragonboy
http:///forum/post/3038217
I have angels and tangs that attack the snails I just think its their natural behavior.
In my tank any INVERT has a life span of until either my DFP Huma Huma Niger Bursa or my Blue Angel finds the dang thing. The only thing that has survived is one Blue leg Hermit that is now 2 inches across.

martymcfly

What do you all use for a clean up crew if you cant keep snails? More specifically what do you use to keep the glass and LR clean?

ironeagle2006

Originally Posted by MartyMcFly
http:///forum/post/3038521
What do you all use for a clean up crew if you cant keep snails? More specifically what do you use to keep the glass and LR clean?
I bought a couple of Green Scats they are a Brackish fish that can be converted to full marine fish to do the alage and LR cleaning. Between them the 5 tangs and the Blue Angel I really do not havbe an issue with Alage at all. For the Sand I have a pair of large Scooter Bleenies they do a decent job at keeping it clean. Also having a 20 gallon Fuge under the tank full of Cheato and LR and LS and pods helps BIG TIME. I also use a Mag Float for any alage that does get by my fish.