Blue chromis bite/attack the smaller one. Need advice

jmann020

This just recently happening 2 weeks ago. So I have 5 blue chromis and just recently the little one out of the group has been getting attacked and constantly being bite by the others, mainly just two of the other four. Then the little one of the group floats and stays in the corner of the tank (up and down) . I don't think he sick, he eats when i feed them, and doesn't look dis colorled. Once he comes off the wall he gets attacked.

Do any one have a reason behind this, any suggestion? I have blood shrimp, yellow watchmen goby and 5 blue chromis is my tank. I plan to add more fish.

Attachments

2quills

It's common with them in small groups. I've tried groups of 3 and of 4 but they always pick each other off till the last one is standing. And that's if it doesn't die from the trauma.

I've heard you have a better chance with larger groups but can't confirm.

Shilpan

I have seen a few LFS's around here with either groups of 6-7, or 1 single chromis. I believe the larger groups dispels aggression better so you have a few fish being picked on instead of one.

flower

Hi,

Chromis kill each other off, it's what they do... small groups last longer, but eventually they start the death toll on each other anyway. I have tried everything to keep them as well, it always ends up with dead fish sooner or later.

geridoc

I haven't even tried them in over 15 years, never had long term success with them.
I have you beat - I have tried chromis for over 40 years, and they remain one of the only fish that I have not been successful with. That said, I adopted 5 lemon chromis two months ago into my 220 gallon system, and they seem to be doing fine. I don't know if it is because there is so much space and hiding crevasses in that tank, or I have finally become a great fishkeeper:D