blue devils

nemo1234

ok. so I posted about the blue damsels that 1 beat up the other and he was fighting for his life... well, as of just now that one has died... he lasted a good 5 days though of trying to fight for his life... it was kinda odd how he just died though.... he took a quick swim around his side if the tank(since I have the 2 seperated) then laid on the floor and stopped breathing. weird huh?
anyways.... my question....
should I chance getting 2 more of those... I know that they are mean, but I heard that those cn be keptr with 3 or more.... is that right? 2 just doesn't cut it, right? Please fill me in on that before I buy more and then killing more again. My tank is a 29 gallon and the one that I have "Monster" is about
1 and a half to 2 in long.... that's about full grown, right? Thats the only fish I have in there. Would getting 2 more be a mistake, or what? Should I go with a different type of fish? Help me out here please!!!

N

nereef

damsels don't have much of a place in most home aquariums, imo. i would get rid of the one you have now, as adding any fish of any type will be difficult.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by nemo1234
http:///forum/post/2490782
ok. so I posted about the blue damsels that 1 beat up the other and he was fighting for his life... well, as of just now that one has died... he lasted a good 5 days though of trying to fight for his life... it was kinda odd how he just died though.... he took a quick swim around his side if the tank(since I have the 2 seperated) then laid on the floor and stopped breathing. weird huh?
anyways.... my question....
should I chance getting 2 more of those... I know that they are mean, but I heard that those cn be keptr with 3 or more.... is that right? 2 just doesn't cut it, right? Please fill me in on that before I buy more and then killing more again. My tank is a 29 gallon and the one that I have "Monster" is about
1 and a half to 2 in long.... that's about full grown, right? Thats the only fish I have in there. Would getting 2 more be a mistake, or what? Should I go with a different type of fish? Help me out here please!!!
Unless you plan to keep damsels only, I would get rid of the one that you have. They are not peaceful fish and will pick on any fish that you get. Size does not matter to these guys.They harass larger fish with no problem. You have a 29 gallon. I have had two damsels fight in a 55. Damsel only tanks can be done, but the tank should be larger and they need tons of caves. They do not just claim one spot as their own. They will claim many and viciously defend each spot.

nemo1234

it would prolly be a damsel only aquarium for a while until I can get more time to spend on other fish, which would be a while.... more time and money.... I've manged to kill some fish that I spent lots of money on, and have given up with the expensive fish for now, so I am going the cheap alternate route.
so damsel only take would be ok, if I were to get 2 more? I mean, I'm not looking for lots of fsih, just something for the time being... then maybe eventually I can get rid of them, and get something else.

sepulatian

http:///forum/post/2490801
it would prolly be a damsel only aquarium for a while until I can get more time to spend on other fish, which would be a while.... more time and money.... I've manged to kill some fish that I spent lots of money on, and have given up with the expensive fish for now, so I am going the cheap alternate route.
so damsel only take would be ok, if I were to get 2 more? I mean, I'm not looking for lots of fsih, just something for the time being... then maybe eventually I can get rid of them, and get something else.
In a 29 gallon you are not going to be able to get damsels to co-exist, unless you have a ton of caves in there. You may be thinking of chromis with the schooling factor. Damsels may school in the ocean, but not in any tank that I have seen. I was about to say that they may be alright if they were added together, but this guy already killed his partner that was added with him.

nemo1234

but as a starter fish, what would you get, and how many? or would they survive a cycle, then beat each other up?
I'm confused about them? So, I can't get 2 more damsels for my tank basically, because they will just fish over territory anyways. I should get rid of the one I have, then go for something else?

nemo1234

all right----
So I just read up on them a bit more, and basically, if I don't get rid of him, he will kill anything and everything I introduce into my tank now, pretty much. It's either, keep the 1 fish and wait a while, or get rid of him for a bit more expensive fish, and one that will get along with others, right? hmmmm
he is pretty cool though...

sepulatian

http:///forum/post/2490814
but as a starter fish, what would you get, and how many? or would they survive a cycle, then beat each other up?
I'm confused about them? So, I can't get 2 more damsels for my tank basically, because they will just fish over territory anyways. I should get rid of the one I have, then go for something else?
I don't want to tell you to get rid of a fish that you like, but if you plan on other fish then you should. If you are limited on funds right now then keep this guy. He will keep the tank functioning and you will learn about the different stages of a new tank. Did this tank cycle before you added the damsels?

nemo1234

oh yeah, this tank has been up and runng for a good... gosh, almost a year now, maybe even over a year.... I just had some fish... firefish gobies, that recently died though(not because if this new guy), and I HAD a peppermint shrimp that he ate. I wanted somthing kinda cheap... I gotta watch out at my LFS, nice fish and all, but he will tell you anything to get you to buy... so I really gotta watch out for that.
I will probably keep him for a while. and just him, until I decide what to do.... I'm sure that if i decide to get others, a different LFS will take it....

sepulatian

http:///forum/post/2490824
oh yeah, this tank has been up and runng for a good... gosh, almost a year now, maybe even over a year.... I just had some fish... firefish gobies, that recently died though(not because if this new guy), and I HAD a peppermint shrimp that he ate. I wanted somthing kinda cheap... I gotta watch out at my LFS, nice fish and all, but he will tell you anything to get you to buy... so I really gotta watch out for that.
I will probably keep him for a while. and just him, until I decide what to do.... I'm sure that if i decide to get others, a different LFS will take it....
Many stores are like that. I hope that it all works out for you. Let us know if you need more help

nemo1234

another thing? how would he be with starfish? i wont get another shrimp with him, but what about a starfish? he might eat it, huh?

sepulatian

http:///forum/post/2490828
another thing? how would he be with starfish? i wont get another shrimp with him, but what about a starfish? he might eat it, huh?
No, damsels go after moving things that invade their space. He will not eat a star. What kind are you looking to get?

mahgoney

in my experiences the blue devil damsels dont last long at all for some reason ive had 3 of them and the alll died witthin a week

socalracer

i think damsels have a place in the home aquarium as they are hardy, colorful, and cheap my first fish was a blue devil and along with my flamehawk are the only 2 fish that survivied an ick outbreak........that said my blue devil has been in my tank since day 1 which now almost makes it 2 years, and i really liked the coloring of the azure damsel and just tried to introduce into my 100g the 2 immedietly fought the new damsel would have died but it jumped into a net i had in the tank for him to hide around....i even move my rock around and he was still going to get killed........i guess what im trying to say is i dont think that size of tank can handle 2 especially if your not introducing them together but my damsel doesn't pick on the other fish

aninafish

I had the same problems with blue and domino damsels in my 55. I ended up taking the last remaining one back to the store and getting 6 chomis. 3 Blue and 3 Green. They schooled and life was peaceful.. until I bought 4 more. 2 blue and 2 green. WWIII started anfter that and I ended up with 2 and they were just the ones that hid all the time. They are back at the store now as well