blue face angels

peter1215

I was considering a blueface angel but have read contradicting information on the web and books. Bob Fenner sats they're shortlived in captivity yet i have two books on angels that say they're hardy. anyone have good success with these angels ? would queens be considered hardier that blueface? thanks

whitey

For a 125, you're much better off going with a Blue Face.
A Queen is going to need a larger tank than a 125.

peter1215

Originally Posted by Whitey
For a 125, you're much better off going with a Blue Face.
A Queen is going to need a larger tank than a 125.
I plan on getting a 220 tank by early next year. so if the tank was no issue wich angels is hardier the queen or blueface?

whitey

Originally Posted by surfinusa
blue faces are hardier and are much colorful
If you don't have any personal experience with the fish people are asking about, please don't answer the questions.
I know you are young and enjoy communicating on these boards, but some of your comments are downright ridiculous, and may mislead people looking for answers.
You have nothing to jusify stating that Blue Face Angels are any more or less hardy than something else. Please comment on things you've learned from expereince and have fun, but some of these comments are becoming very annoying especially when they show up in nearly every thread.

S

surfinusa

i know i have never had excperience with it but i read about them alot and they say they are hardy ang great fish to keep im just saying what the books and websites tell me

anthropo

Originally Posted by surfinusa
i know i have never had excperience with it but i read about them alot and they say they are hardy ang great fish to keep im just saying what the books and websites tell me

yeah but if you did have experience you would know that queens are actually hardier and have a dog like personality. i have had both. the blue face will hide most of the time except when eating. they will come out when you're not around and as soon as they see you hide again. before anyone comments on this there are the exceptions, but this is the typical blueface behavior. they also get stressed out a lot easier which we all know is the leading cause of death for fish. it died after about 6 months. i had perfect water conditions, adequate water flow, plenty of hiding places with at least 200 pounds of live rock with the blue face. the blue face also was qt'd for 3 weeks before adding him to my main tank which is a 150. after he died i got a queen. i have had the queen for 2 and a half years, he has never been sick. i feed him the same diet as the blueface which is the proper diet of sponge, nori, mysis shrimp, and formula 2 flake. the queen grew from 3 inches to about 8 now. the queen eats from my hand,and never hides. the queen is my showcase fish that is the boss of the tank. i even buy orange tree sponge for him to eat. any other questions let me know.

fishnerd

I hope I don't need to post my resume, but here goes my experiences...
Blue Face Angels (P. xanthemetopon, formerlly Euphipiops xanthametopon) are shipped from the Indo Pacific, and have a rather high loss during shipping and acclimation.
Queen Angels (H. cilaris) are from the Caribbean, and ship much better.
As far as living, long term, in captivity the Blueface is much more suited to captivity, as they do not have the special dietary requirements of the Queen, mainly sponge matter.
I hope this helps.

peter1215

thanks all for your input , it has definitelt helped me decide. I leaning toward getting a queen about 3-5 inches.

peter1215

Originally Posted by anthropo
yeah but if you did have experience you would know that queens are actually hardier and have a dog like personality. i have had both. the blue face will hide most of the time except when eating. they will come out when you're not around and as soon as they see you hide again. before anyone comments on this there are the exceptions, but this is the typical blueface behavior. they also get stressed out a lot easier which we all know is the leading cause of death for fish. it died after about 6 months. i had perfect water conditions, adequate water flow, plenty of hiding places with at least 200 pounds of live rock with the blue face. the blue face also was qt'd for 3 weeks before adding him to my main tank which is a 150. after he died i got a queen. i have had the queen for 2 and a half years, he has never been sick. i feed him the same diet as the blueface which is the proper diet of sponge, nori, mysis shrimp, and formula 2 flake. the queen grew from 3 inches to about 8 now. the queen eats from my hand,and never hides. the queen is my showcase fish that is the boss of the tank. i even buy orange tree sponge for him to eat. any other questions let me know.
Anthropo
are these suitable fish to keep with a Queen Angel: bluethroat trigger, Australian Tusk, Purple tang and a pair of clarkiis. also, when i get the queen, how long would you recommend to quarantine? thanks
Peter

anthropo

those are fine to put with a queen, although you put that tusk in there and you won't be able to put hermits or snails for cleanup crew. mine was in quarantine for i think 2 weeks. i think that's adequate, but there are some who feel it should be more like 3-4 weeks. you want to buy a queen that is around the 3-4 inch range. that way they don't have any nasty habits yet from being in the wild too long.