Blue Fish

andy51632

Trying to get different colors in my fish. I have a 90gal so kind of limited on what fish I can get. I want to get a some form of a blue fish that is reef and invert safe? Anything out there besides damsels?

srfisher17

I assume you're looking for smaller fish, rather than the obvious blue tangs and triggers.Maybe a blue hamlet or a flameback angel? Is this a reef tank?

andy51632

yes, plan on a reef tank.
current stock list:
2 perc. clownfish
1 midas blenny
1 sixline wrasse
1 flame angel(can be removed if need be, to qt, or trade in if eats corals)
hermits, snails, peppermint shrimps, cleaner shrimp, and emerald crabs

kas2247

I just bought 3 green chromis last night... they are so active and fun to watch already. They're definitely my favorite thing in the tank (which consists of 3 green chromis and bunch of hermits
) I think you can get them in different colors... I've seen blue/green, green, and I think there may be a plain blue, too. They are peaceful and shouldn't bother anything in your tank, but I've heard they can also hold their own. And they're CHEAP! What more could you ask for?

srfisher17

Originally Posted by andy51632
I like the blue hamlet. Will it be alright with peppermint and cleaner shrimp?
SWF .com says they're reef safe, but to watch them with shrimp. I wouldn't trust them together. The flameback is gorgeous, reef safe; but pricey.

jtrzerocool

Wouldn't it fight with my flame angel?
probably...yes
if you are getting rid of the falme angle then you could get a coral beauty angel. has blue and orange on it. it is a very beautiful fish

kas2247

Would it be alright to do just 1 blue reef chromis? Would that be bad or good as far as aggression goes?
I'm pretty sure they're ok on their own or in groups. My 3 are cool to watch because they stick together ALL the time. It's a mini-school. Maybe someone else has a little more experience with Chromis? I'm just going on 24 hrs now...

Chasmodes

How about a blue assessor, Assessor macneilli? They're mild mannered but may also be a problem around shrimp perhaps...I'll look into it and get back with ya. The only problem is that they're hard to come by. One LFS near me had them pretty often for a few months and I haven't seen them since. Perhaps it's something that they can special order for you, or perhaps SWF can get one for you if you email them?
Also, how about a flameback angelfish, Centropyge aurantonotus or perhaps a cherub angelfish argi
? I wouldn't classify any angelfish as a species reef safe because, although many aquarists own them without problems, some individuals can be destructive. That said, I think that these two species are some of the better angel choices for reefs that match your blue requirement...the size is right too.

andy51632

Well if I knew for sure I would get my 180gal soon I would just get a small blue hippo tang. I will keep looking.