Blue Hippo Hiding

Couple days ago I purchase a beautiful Blue Hippo from the LFS and it's an awesome fish to see swimming around. I came home yesterday and couldn't see it swimming around anywhere. After looking in the live rock for awhile I just gave up and then I caught it out of the corner of my eye burried in the sand sideways with its head popping out. I threw some food in it popped right out grabbed a few pieces and fell right back to the floor and burried himself again. It looks completely healthy and lively when swimming. Anyone else had any weird tang behaviors like this before?

jimmyn

Depends. My hippo sort of does the same thing in the beginning. After about a wqeek or so, he started coming out. Took him time to adjust to his surroundings and the other tangs. I would say that if he is eating well, then don't worry.
HTH

forrest gump

I have a deep sand bed in my tank 6-7 inches. My blue hippo tang dug a hole in it over half way down and sleeps in it at night. Quite often when I walk past my tank I see him swimming and his face and head are completely covered with white specks. My first reaction is always " ooh crap, ich" but it's just sand from his digging endevears.

buzz

I haven't seen them bury themselves, or dig, but mine does squeeze into tight crevices, and will lay there sideways as well.
Waterfaller is right on with the crab thing...my small blue hippo got mauled by a big red emerald crab I had. It swam head first into a crevice with no way out but to back out, and the crab cornered it...easy meal.
It had a gaping hole in it's side, and it's left fin was gouged out. It has now healed, and is minus it's left fin. Fortunately it healed up and has no trouble swimming, but that crab went to the LFS.

buzz

I don't believe so. They are more detrivores, except where it comes to snails and each other. It would also take a very large hermit to inflict any real injury. My Red Emerald was huge...probably 3+ inches across including legs. His body was about an inch in diameter.

fishman830

i have a blue hippo, i scared him as i was taking out a blue damsel, and he spent 3 hours in a barnicle.. they like to hide, and need somehwere to hide to feel safe