Blue Hippo Question about scratching on rocks

cam78

OK, so I have this thread going in the disease forum but the response there is too slow and this may not constitute "Disease". So with that here is my question/problem. I have a blue Hippo who is a great eater, friendly, and appears to be healthy. Yesterday I noticed him scratch up against the same rock approximately 8 times. Obviously a concern. So I monitor the fish as much as possible but I don't notice any spots, discoloration or anything raising a red flag.
This morning I woke up and see an area that appears to be a scratch on the same side he was rubbing against. This is below his gill and appears to be a scratch only. Its like three lines of white as if he scratched his color off. Is this possible? Please help

cam78

Its really hard to get on camera but this is the best I could do. You can faintly see the scratch marks.

mr. limpid

If you don't see spot keep looking use a magnifying glass. Also how are your prom. if your ammonia is to high this would also cause irritation to the gills.

deejeff442

i had a big hippo that would scratch the rock here and there he would also wedge himself in the rocks and have bruises.i am not saying your fish dont have something wrong but mine was fine.just keep an eye on him.hippos and all tangs are have that soft smooth skin and bruise easliy.

cam78

Heres a question. Depending on the angle you look at the Hippo it appears that he has a shimmer in the lighting. Almost as if you were to look at silk at an angle and see that shimmer. Is that normal?

srfisher17

Ich, and other parasites,, usually invade the gills first and that seems to be the area that is bugging him. I hope there isn't a connection He can't 'scratch his color off", he's not painted. but he can scratch his skin.,