Blue Hippo Tang eating Corals

kjord97

SO, my 4 year old blue hippo tang who is about 6 inches now was just caught doing something bad. I have had zooanthids all over the tank for a long time, but in the last few weeks they have been slowing disappearing. Well today while on watch I caught the bad guy. My hippo tang took a big bite out of my hammer coral and then proceded to head over to a patch of Zoas and pulled up about 5 heads.
I have been searching online and see that others have had this same problem with a reef safe fish.
Does anyone have any solutions????
Here is a pic of the bad guy.
All tangs in the pic have been living togther in this tank peacefully for 4 years.

ci11337

The only solution is to eiter remove him or watch your reef slowly turn FO. The blue hippo in the display at my LFS picked at corals too, i guess rare individuals of the tang species do.

jam marine

Hi,i have had the same problem twice,as they get older,they seem to get destructive in a reef,so i have opted not to keep one,powder blue tangs are better.,imo.

anonome

Maybe increase his feeding schedule so that he is full? Algae sheets will fill them up pretty quick. Just a suggestion, not sure how often the tank is fed.

hefner413

Originally Posted by jam marine
Hi,i have had the same problem twice,as they get older,they seem to get destructive in a reef,so i have opted not to keep one,powder blue tangs are better.,imo.
Is it truly that common? Man, i hope not... I sure want one! ... but want my reef more.